Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 BOLT VS 12 BOLT

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5RANGER, Apr 25, 2001.

1. K5RANGER

K5RANGER Registered Member

JUST WONDERING....4:10 GEARS AND 35's IN THE MUD MOSTLY...IS THERE A REAL ADVANTAGE IN FAVOR OF THE 14 BOLT OVER THE 12 BOLT? I'VE GOT THE OPPORTUNITY TO BUY A 14 SF THAT CAME FROM A DUELLY( HOW DO YOU SPELL THAT SIX WHEELED B*TCH). THE PRICE IS GOOD BUT I'M GOING TO HAVE TO BUY NEW WHEELS...IS IT REALLY WORTH IT? AND WILL THE SET UP FIT UNDER A 78 K5?
    IF THE 14 IS A GOOD CHOICE...WHAT SHOULD I PLAN ON FOR THE FRONT BEEF?

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought 1 tons (all the dualies) came with 14 bolt ff not a 14 bolt sf. Anyone correct me?

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dually might even be a Dana 70. If not its a 14 bolt FF.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

i too believe that only ff came in duallys(in fact id be willin to put money on it)as far as the need for it,most likely if your hard on it,itll break.anything but a 14ff that is.id buy the 14 just to have it when yours does puke.ive got a 14ff in the shop,that im puttin in mine.the other big advantage to the 14ff is the much larger brakes.big plus in my book!i see trusty brought up the 70,i forgot that.look for the removeable pinion.if its got the ff and no removeable pinion its a 70.

PURE INSANITY
    86 blazer see it at:<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569>http://www.zing.com/album/pictures.html?id=4292792569</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pureinsanity on 04/25/01 05:57 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Just a side note: don't type in all caps, it's hard to read [​IMG]

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

All dually's were 8 lug. some heavy duty trucks had d 70. My 79 1 ton dually had a d70. my friends 76 flatbed tow truck has a 14 bolt. never seen a 14sf under a dually. I don't see why anybody would run a sf. I don't think(my opionion) they offer any great difference. c-clip axels SUCK. broke a 12 bolt ONCE. hated the walk.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. K5RANGER

K5RANGER Registered Member

ichecked again and your right ..it is a 14FF. my bad, i can't half hear, or don't pay attention; i have been married for ten years! so what should i look for to accompany the 14 in the front? D60-D44? will i be satisfied with 4:10 gears or should i go larger?I

8. Daveytree

Daveytree Registered Member

I loved my 14FF. I think it looked a little better with the 16.5 wheels also. Mine was tuff as you could ask for. I'd get it just to have around. I also had a d44 in front. I loved that also. The only down point to the two is that they are HEAVY. Other than that I don't have a bad thing to say.

[​IMG]If you don't like my driving, <font color=red> get back on the road.</font color=red> [​IMG]