Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt vs Dana 60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Mar 25, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Allright yall, I found a good deal on a D60 rear axle. Currently have planned a 14 bolt rearend swap but after thinking on the weight issues and the clearance thing I'm having second thoughts. Anyone here have a Dana 60 rear? What is the comparison of the two for off roading? I appreciate anything yall have got on either. I know that the d60 detroit is about 200 bucks more. But what about weight and clearance? I know it has to be more stout than the 12 bolt right? Thanks!

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Dana 60 had three axle diameters, make sure you get the 1.5 diameter and other than the Dana 60 running a ring gear size of 9 3/4 and the 14 a 10.5, by the way the 60 1.5 shaft had a 35 spline axle...your bud...White Knight want the 14 back?

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

You will lose about 1 inch of ground clearance with the 14 bolt. That is the only thing wrong with the 14 bolt. When you buy a Dana 60 you will more than likey get a 30 spline 1.312" shaft. Very few Dana 60 FF came with 35 spline axles. I think that you can find them in the High Boy mid 70's ford trucks. Other than that you will get a 30 spline axle. Today at the Pick-N-Save they had a sell on all rear axles for $20. There was two 14 bolt axles there one with 3.73 and the other had 4.10. Look around and you might find a good deal.

Donovan

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks guys. Nope, WK. I had 2 14 bolt axles, one of which went to you, the other I kept. Now I'm just having second thoughts. I like Depdog's idea of the 12 bolt to save on weight and clearance but want something stronger. I was driving behind a 3/4 ton chev a couple days ago and contemplating that HUGE pumpkin. I just think that damn thing is gonna hold me up. When I seriously evaluate what kind of off-roading I plan to do, I really can't see the need for severe overkill. I'll be doing moderate trails, streams, Oklahoma clay, Lots of mud, light rockcrawling. Like the idea of rockcrawling in magazines, but that one trip to Disney kinda put that outta my head. The Scorpion was there and a few badboy jeep bodied fullsizes [​IMG] but they just all went to one obstacle and tried it for a couple hours, then the next one. It was just so SLOW.... I like a good time in the outdoors....oops ramblin.

So I'm thinking, why not ditch the 14b in favor of a D60 rear? Kinda have a good combo of strength and clearance. Been talking to TEX over on ORC. He's the local resident expert on MUD. He says that in the bogs, that 14 bolt holds ya up a lot, but not so much as a D60 front. So here's the master plan revised: 44 front/lockright, 60 rear/Detroit. Combo of strength, cost, durability, and trailworthiness.

So WK, what's wrong with the 14? You too seeing the benefits of a smaller axle? I guess I just got caught up in all the magazine hype with them saying it is always good to go beefier. And haven't spent much time on real trails. Oh well. I'm outta. When's that Dallas trip again??????

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

If you have time take 14 bolt spindles and put them onto a Dana 60 axle. Then you could get 35 spline axles. You can get custom full floater axles for $300 from Dutchman Motorsports. Go to www.dutchmanms.com for some cool stuff.

Donovan

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey Donovan, thanks for the reference, I ordered my catalog. Now please tell me what you're talking about with the 14B spindles? I really don't understand. Are you saying that I can use 14 bolt parts on a D60 to make it stronger? I guess I need to research the internals and interchangability of these axles. Thanks again for the lead.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run a D60 w 1 1/5" 35spline axels in my 72K5 and the axels are also 6lug! Made more sence to save $ and ground clearnce, cuz if I swaped in the 14Bolt the front would need 8lug and also new wheels.....The D60 with new drive shaft was a direct bolt up!
    The 12bolt I had in the back TWISTED on me while wheelin so I knew I needed something stronger and so far 2+yrs no problems at all with the D60.
    Good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That's what I'm thinkin. Of course the front D44 I have is already 8 lug and I'm happy with this too. But the weight thing and the entire massiveness of the 14 bolt is an extreme detriment to me. I was worried about the Detroit being $200 more for the D60, but I saw where that Duchman place had Strange spools for the D60 for about $200. Might try that out. I know I know, it'll suck on the street, but it's just an offroad machine and summer cruiser I'll get used to it. Just can't let anybody else drive it. So now I'm lookin for a D60. Gotta quit changin my mind and get this thing built!!!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

9. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

What I am taking about might be more than you want to do, but here it goes. Get a cheap 14 bolt and cut the spindle off and fit them onto the Dana 60 housing. The stock Dana 60 spindles are to small on the I.D. to put 1 1/2" axles thru. Where 14 bolt axles are 1 1/2" already. Like I said it might be more than you want to do but that is the way to go.

Donovan