Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt weight question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Beast388, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The local U-Pull-A-Part is running a Labor Day special. For $35 you can have whatever you can carry out. I called to see if they would allow a dolly. They said no. I would have to physically carry it. So....my question is how much does a 14 bolt, complete with brake drums, weigh? I don't think I'll be carrying anything out that weighs twice as much as I do. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Not sure how much exactly but even with out the hubs and drums I can barely pick up one end to put on a cinder block to work on it. It took 3 of us to get it out of the truck and in to the garage with everything on it.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I think close to 300 pounds or more.

4. BoyNamedSue

BoyNamedSue Registered Member

Two guys could carry it out, just park close to the door. Or, you could grab it by the ebrake cable and drag that sucka out of there and leave pretty marks on their floor /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    I guess if you get a piece of card board and put it under the drums, you could drag it out. I think they would rather you do that.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe they are closer around 400 lbs. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I shipped a few of them in completely covered wood crates and they weighed around 525 lbs.

I have been to a yard where they had a special of "pick, pull and carry." The one I went to required you to be able to CARRY the part(s) in your OWN arms or hands, nobody else can help you, and all you had to do was step over the gate line and drop it.

If you are serious about getting a 14FF, seriously consider taking a short tow strap, like a tree saver strap, and have another buddy help you drag the rear to the gate and then tie the strap around the big hubs on each end. Try and carefully pick up the axle to where you can support it just enough to walk about 2 or 4 feet over the gate line and then drop it. You and your buddy can load it from there. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

You could strip the brakes clean and leave the drums and all. Then just setup disc.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Hope you are a big ole boy. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if the thing is complete hub to hub 400-450 pounds wouldnt surprise me at all. If they will let you do it, ditch the drums, them big b@stards weigh a ton. Even without them tho, you'd have to be a very large man indeed to move it out by hand.... then again, if u can somehow manage to do it, you'll get massive amounts of CK5-forum cool points from all of us! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif just make sure to post pics so we actually believe it! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Lift with your legs man /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif !

10. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Does it need to be carried off the ground? Strap it to a backpack frame and drag it out. Wear a truss above your package, though.

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i got mine in and out complete drum to drum by myself.i used my truck (about 40 inches to the tailgate) had to lift one end in then try and power clean the other end up onto it then push it in the rest of the way.they let me drive into the yard to pick it up though.it weighs about 400 pounds.if i could do it again i would have waited a day or two to get a friend to go with me to help,but i found it and just had to have it that day!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

12. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Find a set of wheels and just roll it out. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

13. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hope you are a big ole boy.

Derf00

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

yeah its very heavy, took me and about 4 of my buddies to carry it out of my truck (6" lift) j-yard loaded with a fork lift..how nice of them.

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yeah, just make sure you have a hedge to catch it before it gets away... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I recall reading in one of the 4x4 rags the 14 bolt fully dressed was about 530 lbs...

Rene

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Those 14bff are freakin heavy. Have at least you and 2 other people to help. When I got my 14bff back from the gear setup me and a buddy of mine carried it about 40 ft. That was a long 40 ft. We took it from the back of the pickup and walked it down my driveway. We each had a drum, and afterward we where pretty tired as that thing is massive. I would guess it weighed around 500lbs drum to drum. (keep in mind that I am 6'4" &amp; 265lbs &amp; my buddy is 6'1" &amp; 265lbs) A word of advice. Have a pickup with a low bed height and get some big friends to help.

Harley

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

damn, u guys r f-in strong. LOL! I use a cherry picker and my d60/ff14b still dang near kicked my butt. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif LOL!!

J

18. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

Wasnt sure but could you roll it out? I do it all the time just find to 8 lug wheels/tires and when you get to the gates just pick one side up at a time a trow it over the line. Just though I try. -max

19. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Just remember, NOTHING is worth injuring your back for! 14-bolt rearends can be had almost anywhere for $150 if you look around. Is it really worth the risk of permanently injuring yourself for money? NO WAY! Be smart and save your money to buy one when you can get a hoist or enough friends to help and keep your back healthy. Wheelchairs aren't fun and I know!

20. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

The wheelchair comment has me thinking. Get a friend with a wheelchair to carry one out on his wheelchair. If they don't let him do it, it's an ADA violation and he could sue the pants off them.