Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Weight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by msb350, Jul 25, 2005.

1. msb350

msb350 Registered Member

How much do 14SF weigh? I know the 14 FF is around 500 and was thinking they might be close in weight. Thanks.

Matt

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually, the FF's don't weigh 500 lbs. The are in the lower 400 lbs. range with the drum brakes. Disc brakes drop them down to the 350 lbs. range.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

From the 14 bolt bible

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

WOW 100lbs in just the drums!!!!!

wonder what the difference is with disc brakes vs drums (sorry for the side post :crazy: )

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have read that switching from drums to disks will cut about 75 pounds. I didn't weigh mine though.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to argue, but those numbers don't jive with actual shipping weights kennyw posted, 475, nor the combined D60/14FF weight someone else posted, of 800lbs. With a bit more searching, there are at least two other people that came up with 475# for the rear. With drums to boot.

14SF has got to be quite a bit lighter than the 14FF, with no hubs, no monster drums, and probably lighter axleshafts. It's not fun to move around, but it can be done with two people by hand, and it's not overly painful. I used an engine hoist to move the 14FF I had. I'd say a good 100lbs less than the 14FF. I just did a quick search, didn't find an actual 14SF weight though.

7. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i tried looking here shipping weights but did not see 14 SF. if someone finds out, post it there to spread the info.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I call b.s. on those quotes. When I rebuilt some 14FF's a few years ago, I had them crated up in wood and one of them with 13" drums didn't weigh quite 500 lbs. And then I built one with disc brakes and that one weighed in the 300 lbs. range.

Just to prove it, I went out to the shop and weighed all the 14FF parts I had laying around. The weight list goes like this:

Bare housing 111 lbs.
    Empty carrier 25 lbs.
    Drums/plates 94 lbs.
    Bearing hubs 44 lbs.
    Gears 25 lbs.

Do the math. That totals up to 299 lbs. I did not have any shafts to weigh. Shafts are probably another 50 lbs.

I did not have the brake shoes and hardwares on the plates. That would add approximately another 40 lbs.?

Those approximate additions still gets the axle at around 389 lbs. And this is with 13" drums, too.

When I built them, I crated them up completely covered and the crates, if I remember correctly, added another 80 lbs. to the total of the axle.

Anyone who tells you the 14FF weighs at 500 lbs. is either very weak and can't pick up much weight, or is just passing the rumor-weight around. Until someone has ACTUALLY weighed one, lets see what others quote when they can get one on a scale. :rolleyes: :surepal: :whistle: :deal:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It may be. I have always thought they were around 525, then the bible said 550 which is close. I have mine out now and I can put it in my truck and go to the local rock scale and get an empty/loaded weight and subtract the two and see what mine weighs.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ask Kennyw how he weighed the one he quotes in the shipping weight post. I'm sure he got it on a scale, and it was complete.