Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt:weld or detroit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, May 14, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

if i welded the side gears only(not the case) would i be able to pull out the carrier and install a detroit locker without setting up gears again? im really pressed for cash so i like the price of a lincoln locker. id like everybodys pros and cons.
    it will be my daily driver, if its too bad on ice i can always carpool. i was thinkin of getting a beater anyway. pics would be great too

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am not a big fan of the "lincoln lockers" If you don't clean all the oil off and use the correct welding rod(high nickle) the end results could cost more. I also would not use a locked rear on a street truck. do it right and don't do it agian.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Talk to Rene (tRusty). I think it was him that welded up his spider gears to make a sort of mini-spool for a C14FF. Several guys on here are running LLs and Spools (there are no spools made for a C14FF) and like them allot. The C14FF is also the cheapest to put a DL in (less than $400 total) plus you can do it in your drive in one afternoon.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

just this week i finished installing a welded 14 bolt in my 73 blazer.it drives fine so far except for turning sharp on pavement,like parking lots and turning while going slow.once on the highway i cant really tell its welded,ive been driving it alot so i can decide whether to buy a detroit or leave it.im leavint it in just the way it is.i removed my case from the housing took it all apart,cleaned all parts with solvent(it only fits together one way)!!!.then welded it all together spiders to spiders and spiders to case.im happy with it.hope this helps

shane

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I welded mine up in December and its a daily driver. I just welded up 4 voids on each spider so they would still mesh with each other and the side gears but can't rotate anymore.

If in the future if I want to go back to open, or install a Detroit I still can. To go back to open all I need is 4 new spiders.

As far as gear set-up the 14 bolt FF has got to be the easiest diff to remove the carrier and re-install. There are no side shims to keep track of, just an ajuster ring (which you just put a scribe mark on) on each side of the carrier. The big thing to watch out for is not dropping the carrier on the ground. I laid an old piece of plywood down just in case.

The first weekend it was welded I took it on a snow wheeling trip...In most situations it helped me and once it foiled me. I can't see how a detroit would have been different.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

With the design of the 14 FF, I suggest at least trying the welded diff approach first since you can always switch to a Detroit. That was my thoughts since welding was free.
    I basically made a mini-spool by welding the spider gears to the side gears and installed this chunk back into the case.
    This last weekend I put over 500 miles on the pavement on it and did some semi-serious fourwheeling. I do plan on pulling it back out and inspecting the welds, but all in all I'm pretty happy with it for now.....of course this is not a daily driver either.....

7. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Detroit=$301(Randy's Ring and Pinion)