Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt welding- conflicting views

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Sep 23, 2004.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I ran across a write up on here a while ago that said to weld the side gears, spiders, and cross shaft all into one piece. I just ran across the tech article that said you should just fill in a couple teeth on the spider gear. So what gives? Right way or wrong way- need some guidance as I am going to be welding mine. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

weld the whole thing together /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    I think the reasoning being if you just weld a couple places the gears still move a little and chip break teeth off... I welded my govloc solid /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[​IMG]

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Damn...looks like some kind of nuclear meltdown in there /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn...looks like some kind of nuclear meltdown in there /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You should see me weld a diff.

/forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

What about all the slag and crap that falls into the diff when you weld it all together? Doesn't that tear things up as well?

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Probably my "write up" you refer too..

Clicky...

The biggest reason not to do as the tech article does, is cause of the backlash created between the spiders. Over time, the gears slamming into each other like that, will cause the spiders to fail and crack. I believe tRustyK5 has had experience with that. With everything welded solid, it's for the most part, a mini spool. It will not fail either. Unless the entire carrier itselft blows apart. To my knowledge, this has never happened in a 14b ff. I'd loooooove to see it though! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

I did the just welding the teeth up last year, haven't had a problem with it yet, though I've broken lots of other stuff /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif The trick is to make several passes with the welder and test fit until they fit tightly and voila, little or no backlash and if you need it open again just swap out the spiders. Also if it does break it's just low cost spiders, though I also have not seen a 14b carrier break.

8. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

When i first welded mine i just did the teeth like that article. Within 2 months of wheelin the backlash was gettin really sloppy.....to the point you could get half way through a corner on pavement and then it would feel like it was catching. I then welded the spiders, shafts and side gears together and havent had a problem since.

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

two words.

mini spool.

I didn't have access to a big enough welder and since I drive it daily ~75 miles, I wanted the *no chance* of weld failure...

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do NOT weld it like the tech article says to. It will NOT last. I had mine done like that for the last 2 years but the slop was getting bad so I replaced it with the full ball weld. I opened the axle up last weekend and replaced the void style welds and found they were almost to the point of failure.

The welds that the axle is locked against wear down. So not only does this cause more slop in your drivetrain it causes ALOT of metal shavings in the diff. I didn't have much longer on the void welds before It would have failed. If you want I can get pictures to prove my point. May take a day or 2 though.

Weld it solid like KidJethro does and you will be fine.

Harley

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are going to pay the $200 for a mini spool you might as well spend the other $200 and get a Detroit for it.

Harley

12. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are going to pay the $200 for a mini spool you might as well spend the other $200 and get a Detroit for it.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

I went spool because I didn't WANT a detroit...

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Or you could spend $200 on the full spool coming out by XXXTraction...

14. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    What about all the slag and crap that falls into the diff when you weld it all together? Doesn't that tear things up as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I welded mine up with a non-flux wire with sheilding gas, no slag, after I welded it I dunked it in oil then wire brushed the crap out of and dunked it in oil again and used the oil to float out any little pieces (used oil). Once all that was done I dried it off and blew it dry with the air hose... yes I'm parnoid but I'm also putting in a new set of 5.13 thick gears /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And just think thats a 110v 85amp mig /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    It melted down nicely but I over heated the welder a couple times /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    It just kicked off for about a minute and kicked back on /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

my gov-loc welding post

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    two words.

mini spool.

I didn't have access to a big enough welder and since I drive it daily ~75 miles, I wanted the *no chance* of weld failure...

[/ QUOTE ]

Big enough welder? I have done them with my 140, and jj did his with a 90 amp welder.

There's no such thing as too small a welder. Just /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif the snot out of it and the welds will NOT fail.

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    two words.

mini spool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big enough welder? I have done them with my 140, and jj did his with a 90 amp welder.

There's no such thing as too small a welder. Just /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif the snot out of it and the welds will NOT fail.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knock yerself out then Tim, me, I'm sticking with pure machined alloy goodness /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not such thing as too small a welder???? Then everyone is wasting there time with 220v and larger welders?? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Two weekends ago I rode along with my friend who happened to break two welds on his welded carrier! The other side was still welded and it had alot of weld in it..

Personally, I would rather use a 220v stick welder with nickle rod... Or a 220v mig with nickle wire.. 220v will get you better penetration. Or a FULL SPOOL.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Better penetration my ass. You can melt the crap out of a set of spiders with 140 amps.....trust me.

20. Emmettology 101

So you're saying that you cant get better/more penetraion with a larger welder? Your 110v 140amp welder is not going to get the penetration that a 220v higher amp machine can get... One of those welders will get a much better weld in this situation.