Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt welding question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Nov 13, 2002.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

Hey everybody,

I got some general questions about welding my 14 bolt. I am a novice but I can do simple welds. My first question is do I have to remove the carrier to weld it up solid. Also will I have to reset the back lash if I have to remone the carrier. On the 14 bolts how do you remove the carrier. I have access to a 100 amp mig, will this be enough amps to weld, or am I better off taking it some where to be welded.
    Thanks for the help, hopefully I can have everything ready in time for the snow. Thanks for the help! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You'll need to remove the carrier. To remove carrier take rear end cover off and drain fluid. Mark each bearing cap for which side they go on and remove them. Make a mark on the collars that adjust backlash so you can return them in the correct spot then count and write down how many turns you make to get the carrier out. Take ring bolts off and weld away. Put carrier back together and back into housing. turn collars same amount you took out and line up with you marks. Replace caps to correct side. Install pan and fluid. Have fun.
    I hope that covers it about right.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need a bigger welder for this job...pm Jethro for pic's and info on welding one of these up. He's done a few by now.

Rene

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

And someone correct me here if I am wrong, but I don't think you want to drive this thing with a welded rear in the snow, you're better off with an open diff.
    That way you might go nowhere, but with a welded rear you could get nowhere FAAAAASSSSSSSST. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. tRustyK5

Snowy streets I never had a problem, in fact I felt I had more control. Snowy off-camber trails were another thing though...welded and chained would be much better./forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

6. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

Thanks guys, if I take the the carrier out and take it somewhere to get welded what do you thinl it would run me.
    Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. tRustyK5

Maybe if you send the guts to Jethro he'd weld it up for you? The carrier itself doesn't get welded at all...

Rene

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't think he wants to send it all the way to CA to weld the gears, he can do it locally much cheaper.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif