Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt wheel beAring preload??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Apr 1, 2003.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i try to tighten the bearings it gets tight in between the grooves where you would put in the key to hold the bolt in place.when i tighten it to the next hole it seems that the preload would be to tight,but when i back it off it seems that the next looser hole would be too loose and not have any preload on the bearings.should i just tighten it to the next tighter spot on the keyway for the correct preload??thanx

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just a thought, but try swapping the sides that the preload nuts are on. That is, put the one on the right side of the truck on the left and vise-versa. It might make enough of a difference to get them to line up. </font>

3. chulisohombre

i already tried with the same results.so next question.how much force should it take to turn the wheel by hand if the preload is right?there is slight resistance,but it doesnt feel binding.its not locked up or anything.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the bearings are new I'd go tight on them, if they're used go loose. Either way check them after a 100 miles or so. </font>

5. chulisohombre

like i said they feel way loose if i put it back to the next spot.it does not wobble but the hub spins real free like there is no pressure being put between the bearing and race

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds like you just answered your own question then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

7. chulisohombre

i guess i'll just have to try it and see what happens.thanx for trying to help

8. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

remember to squirt some 90 weight in there to prelube the bearings I didn't and i replaced bearings in about 50 miles

9. chulisohombre

i squeezed some bearing grease in there before i closed it up.if i had put 90 weight in there it would have leaked out and probably not seal the axle very good when i put the silicone on the shaft.someone said on anether post that it is good to prelube it with grease so that you know it has some in there.then it dissolved as the gear oil runs through it.how does the gear oil get down to the end of the axle.looks like the axle shaft is pretty tight in there.does it have a hole machined in or something so that the gear oil flows freely?