Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt with cadilac calipers.help wes if youve seen this.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chulisohombre, Oct 3, 2002.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

ive seen 2 different write ups and neither of them said how to use the cadi calipers.i need to know how this will work and what i will have to do to use these.im in PA and have to pass inspection whick means for legality i have to have a functioning ebrake.i dont wantr the d-shaft mounted one so the cadi ones is the only way to go.anybody wo uses these let me know how.thanx

2. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Re: 14 bolt with cadilac calipers

May sound dumb but would a line lock work?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Line locks work with the hydraulic system, inspections want a mechanical e-brake. </font color>

4. chulisohombre

i got to have a functional mechanical ebrake for to pass PA inspection to keep the beast road worthy.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

damn good question...
    ...i'm dying to know the answer also.

i want to do the same thing... maybe use caddy calipers and still use the cable ebrake instead of a driveshaft mounted one.

6. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

what he said! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. chulisohombre

help somebody.putting this in in a couple of weeks.gotta know how to do it so at least i can get some ideas.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Damn! I have never had a chance to mess around with the Caddy calipers yet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

All I have for my records on the Caddy calipers are the brackets, springs, etc. part numbers that you can buy brand new to make them work.

I believe if you got these brackets, springs, etc., you would still need to fabricate another bracket to the housing tube to hold these other brackets.

These brand new brackets and springs are just the same stuff that come with the calipers when you pull them off the junkyard car. I've got the part numbers for them because we don't have junkyard Caddy's around here. So, if I were to use these calipers, I would go to the parts store and get rebuilt units. This is where the brand new brackets and springs come in handy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So, don't know what to tell you here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Sorry man!

9. chulisohombre

do you have any ideas on how these would work?part numbers would probably help a lot anyways.i can get the calipers for 85 apiece new,but i didnt know they needed a seperate bracket.how does this bracket work?is it just to hold the ebrake cable in place or????

10. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This is where I can't really help you until I have some calipers and the brackets and springs on hand to visually see what I would be dealing with. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

From what I understand, the new brackets are the pieces that bolt to the calipers only. You still need to fab a piece to the housing tube. This piece to the housing tube is also the part that I think most people have trouble with since 90% of the time I hear or read about people having trouble with the Caddy calipers. I seriously believe the problem lies within the proper location for the bracket on the housing tube. It has to be perfect to have the proper slack and tension on it in order to work like the drum brake type.

11. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Shawn Spickler wrote the article at Offroad.com. He is a member here as Shawn . The write-up is no longer on offroad.com /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Maybe he can help you.

12. chulisohombre

thanx ill try and email him and se what comes up.

13. chulisohombre

wes i guess i'll have to just get the calipers and try and fab something that'll work for me.thanx for the reply anywho. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. chulisohombre

ttt please help?

15. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Heres the article from off-road.com. The people that took that main page over from Shawn screwed it all up and got rid of all the tech articles mostly, but I still know the link to the main reviews page that has them all even though they took the links off the main chevy page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. chulisohombre

thanx willyswanter.first person to have the link to that page.ive had a couple of people tell me it was shawn who did the article but noone knew the link.i tried also to get ahold of shawn but no response.at least now i have a better tech article about the setup.thasnx agin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif