Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Yoke Question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone ever convert their yoke from the strap type to the U-Bolt style? Anything special you had to do? I see that the back of the yoke isn't quite flush so I am thinking grinder maybe.

Why do I ask you say? I broke a bolt off in my yoke today and had to drill it out so now going to put in the strap type, until I can upgrade the yoke with one from H.A.D..

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I think there was just a post about this but what I got was that if you grind the yoke it weakens it but I just dont see how a little bit of metal will make it fail, your only other option is to get a 1410 yoke from HAD or a place like that which is set up for the u-bolts :xmas:

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did the same thing last year. I ground on the backside of the yoke so the nuts would sit flat...really didn't have to take much off, and I have had no problems with mine. There is still a lot of steel there it might be weaker, but unless you are puttin down some serious HP or doing 4500 RPM clutch drops I think it will be ok.

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Which U-bolts did you use to hold the U joint on there? The cpu at the parts store had a u bolt type for a K-20 and done a cross reference with the joint and came up with one off of the K-20 and should fit. Only thing I am worried about it the length of the u bolt going through the yoke itself. Ordered it and going to try it tomorrow when it comes in.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm interested in doing this too. you guys got the part numbers for them?

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got some from a farm supply store not sure what they were for, but they work:D

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I have seen them in the HELP section at the parts store but havent tried to fit one with a 1350 u-joint.