Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt yoke won't come off, I want to drive my truck, please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Feb 13, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

14 bolt yoke won\'t come off, I want to drive my truck, please help!!!!!!

I am trying to install my rear HAD shaft and I need to put on the 1410 yoke on the 14 bolt. I got the nut and washer off, but I can't get the yoke itself off.

Please help!!!

I have tried a 2 arm puller and it slips off. I then took some of the old bolts that went into the yoke and put a harmonic balancer puller on it and put a 3ft cheater bar on it, and it won't come off. I was afraid I was going to trip the puller like i did to my last one.

I was thinking about pulling the pinion assembly out and put it on a press, but I was told that could mess up the gear setup.

Please help!

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 14 bolt yoke won\'t come off, I want to drive my truck, please help!!!!!!

Hey Dawson when I replaced mine I took a BFH and tapped mine off. I hit and turned and it came off slowly. Give it a try and see what happons.

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

BFH and hit it like 43084308 times top and bottom then go side to side lol me and confedneck both were beating on mine he was hitting the bottom i was hitting the top /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

---UPDATE---

I got it off, I hit it all ways for a while, the I put the straps on it, and put a steering wheel puller i had under the straps. Put the impact on the puller and it finally came off. Thanks for the tips!

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you replacing the crush sleeve?

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

No.....?

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Although I've replaced pinion yokes this way, it's really not the preferred method.

Make sure to use plenty of red locktite and get a new pinion nut if you can find one.

8. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Although I've replaced pinion yokes this way, it's really not the preferred method.

Make sure to use plenty of red locktite and get a new pinion nut if you can find one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont have to replace the crush sleeve, as long as you retighten the pinion yoke just a tad bit tighter it will be fine. You also shouldnt have to put loctite on the pinion nut because they are torque withholding by design and I have never seen one come loose.