Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Motoronbrain

Motoronbrain Registered Member

I just bought a 79 k20 parts truck for the rear end. My question is has any one converted over to 6 lug? I just bought 6 lug wheels and would hate to have to take a serious beating on selling them. I have done some research but to no evail. some of my thoughts are to fab for 1/2 ton disc brakes but what to do with the axle flange? Thought about cutting and splining the end for a hub? Any help or ideas are greatly appriciated would like to get it in asap. But still a little sceptical.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since for the 79 year, that axle will be a Full Floater. No, you cant change those to a 6 lug, but, yes, you can. Yes, you can as long as you are willing to shell out $$$$$. There are no aftermarket kits to convert it (as far as I know) and to change it to 6 lug would mean custom work by some machine shop or other custom shop. All depends on what you want to do with your hard earned cash!!! [​IMG]

I will let others voice their opinions now, since this was my opinion. In no way am I trying to guide you in the wrong direction here nor trying to tell you what to do nor not do. (Hint.....Executioner![​IMG])

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

3. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

yes there are aftermarket kits for the swap, they just did it in this months 4wheel, off road, or was it Four Wheeler, anyways one of the two. I get three and they just did it, course its not cheap, ya wanna play,,, ya gotta pay,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wrong.
    Not!
    Wrong wrong.
    (just f'ing with you k30 - lol)

ORU makes a 14bolt FF with the 6 lug axles - only $3000.00
    Get one for me while you are at it.....

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

5. Motoronbrain

The thing is that I see that people are using 3/4 disc brake set up off the front of a dana 44 (which I cant quite figure that one out yet) and you can convert a 6 lug 44 to an 8 lug front end, so I was figuring that with a little work I could use a 6 lug set up in the rear. I just dont get how to get the axle bolted up. sorry for all the thoughts just trying to get my left side to cooperate with the right.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

ROTFLMAO!!! [​IMG]

Funny guy, huh?!?! [​IMG]

I am working on getting the D60 crated up and weighed at the scales hopefully this weekend. I will send you a private soon.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

7. 2Dogs

The kit from ORU looks like a COMPLETE redesign but give them a call and see if they are designing an axle kit....?
    (818)563-1534
    Superior Axle and Gear was also mentioned in the article -
    (888)522-2953

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

8. 2Dogs

K30,
    Yeah, that guy is REAL funny. Like a chapped ass.
    Is he kidding? Too much coffee? Or just a natural a$$?
    Thanks for the update on the D60. I can't wait!

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

the kit in the magazine is for 14bsf not full floaters also the other article was for a D60

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

10. 2Dogs

The one I am referring to is from 4Wheel & Off-Road May 2001. Looks like a FF to me. Looking from the back, it has a flat-left-side diff cover.
    This was done to a sweet looking GMC with pre-runner bumpers.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

For all the crap(and $$$$$) you have to go through to get a 14FF to six lugs, just buy some 8 lug wheels!

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "The longer you wait in line, the greater the liklihood that you are standing in the wrong line." [​IMG]

12. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I guess I could reread the article, but I thought they took an 8 lug semi floater and changed it to a 6 lug Full Floater.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They took a 14-bolt FF center section (the big mutha with the 10.5 inch ring gear), then installed semi-floating axle tubes and axles. So for 3 grand you get the low ground clearance of a 14-bolt FF and the weak axles of the SF. I don't get it... [​IMG]

As for getting a 6-lug wheel to fit on a 14-bolt FF, check the inner diameter of the center hole on your wheel. Now check the outer diameter of the bearing housing sticking out of the center of the 14-bolt FF hub. [​IMG] They don't fit, even if you could figure out a way to change the flange over to 6-bolts. Also look at the backside of the flange, the way it's beefed around the stud holes would make it very difficult to redrill it for 6 lugs.

Sell your wheels and buy some 8-luggers. It's cheaper in the long run...

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. 2Dogs

I already have my 14 bolt FF and looking for 8 lug wheels.
    Will need them for the d60 also. I like the idea of having 2 extra nuts!
    The original post was from a guy trying to make his own six lug setup so I am pointing him to places that might help.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

15. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Motorbrain,

Your Quote:
    "The thing is that I see that people are using 3/4 disc brake set up off the front of a dana 44 (which I cant quite figure that one out yet) and you can convert a 6 lug 44 to an 8 lug front end, so I was figuring that with a little work I could use a 6 lug set up in the rear. I just dont get how to get the axle bolted up. sorry for all the thoughts just trying to get my left side to cooperate with the right"

You have to realize that for the rear disc set up, we reuse the 14bolt HUB. So, it is still 8 lug no matter what. My personal opinion, sell the wheels.
    But with wheel spacers, I don't know why anyone couldn't make em with an 8 lug fit, with 6 lug output pattern for wheels. Guess that's b/c the 6 lug pattern would go where some of the 8 lug input are. Am I making sense??...probably not.
    Boss

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boss.coloradok5.com>http://www.boss.coloradok5.com</A>

16. DERBINATOR

DERBINATOR 1/2 ton status

The hub\axle flange is bigger then the center dia. of the wheel (as stated earlier in a reply) so to make an adapter work It would have to space the wheel out past the axle flange. It would seem to me to be cheaper to buy new wheels then customize the rearend that much. Let alone replacement parts.

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There was a guy on here with a Tan K5 that had a 14FF with 6 lugs that 4WPW made.... Not sure of the guys username.. I think he said he paid around $1400 for it complete and was somewhere near OK...

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

18. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Very well said Harry, for 3 grand you get to keep the 14ff's only drawback and you get rid of the ff part that makes it one of the strongest axles around, I think they even install c-clips to get the semi fload design. When I saw the article in the mag, I laughed out loud. Just get 8-luggers, Interco is coming out with more and more 16" sizes and they are stronger having 8 large studs instead of 6 small ones.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

19. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Actually, they use Ford 9" style housing ends - not c-clips - thank God!

I don't recall if they build them per application, or its a conversion. 88-up GMs use BIG studs even for the 6-lug pattern, same size as the 8-lug. They are at least 14mm now instead of 7/16". I would seriously hope they upgrade the stud size ;)

Stiil.... I'm a true believer in 8-lugs and full-floaters.

20. Motoronbrain

Thanks for all the help, looks like I need to find some new wheels and tires.