Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DILLIGAF, Jul 19, 2002.

1. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Registered Member

I've got a 14 bolt dually rear end and would like to use it with a D60. I know that the dual rear wheel axle is not as wide (wheel mount to wheel mount) as the single rear wheel 14B. I understand the differance is in the axle tube flange location, vice overall width.
    If I install a disc brake set up will the width issue be solved?
    Thanks...

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Changing the brake set up will not effect the overall width from WMS to WMS because the bearing hubs are still in the same position. The housing itself is physically shorter than a single wheel axle.

No offense, are you sure it is the narrow cab chassis 14 bolt? Did you see the truck it came out of? I ask because you mention that the backing plate flange maybe in a different position. There are 2 different size drum brake set ups available on single wheel axles, I've never checked but that may cause the flange to be located further inboard (but the overall width of the axle still fit your truck ok).

3. DILLIGAF

I think it's a dually rear end, ah it has four tires on the rear axle.

According to Boyce the axle housing is the same width, only the location of the backing plates is diffrent. I guess I'll have to measure a single wheel to know, but I'm told that the bearing hubs are the exact same width on the dually and single wheel. Hence the axles are the exact same length?
    Since I plan on going disc, if I use a weld on bracket I am told I can weld it outboard of the backing plate flange and have the same wms as a single wheel.

4. nvrenuf

I bought a cab-chassis dually once (for the D60) and it had a real narrow 14 bolt in it. It was definetly shorter than a standard pick up axle. Of course, there are lots of variations out there so mine could have been an odd ball.

5. Nvrenuf - I assume what you are saying is that the cab-chassis rearend like what you might find under some flatbed trucks is the narrow version and the axle under like a dually with the pickup bed and huge flares is the same width as a single rear axle. Right? Reason I'm looking for a clarification is cause I'm looking at buying an 88 1 ton dually 2wd for the 454 engine. It has the pickup bed with flared sides and the axle sure looked to me to be the same width as my present single wheel rear axle. I'm trying as we speak to talke to the owner cause I think I can get the whole truck, it's wrecked, for $850! Depending on gears, I may have a friend who will buy the axle for use on his 71 dually.

Anyone got any suggestions on a price to quote on the axle. It is the 14 bolt but just don't know of the gears yet. Probably 4.10.

6. nvrenuf

Yukon, this is where it gets a little tricky...

On the square body trucks (like an 85) if a dually originally came with a pick up bed then the truck should have come with a Dana 70HD. The 70HD is about 10" wider than a standard single rear wheel axle. If the truck was a cab-chassis dually the the rear end should be a narrow 14 bolt that is shorter than a standard rear axle.

On the round body trucks (like a 95) it is my understanding that the 88 & 89 trucks would have a 70HD and from 90 on they had a 14 bolt. I was also told that once the production went to a 14 bolt the axle was the same width regardless of SRW or DRW. I'm not familiar with the cab-chassis of this body style.

As for price, here on my part of the gulf coast a single wheel 8 lug axle is bringing from $150 to $350, a dually axle is about $350 to $600.

Hope this makes sense. This is not set in stone of course, but I haven't found a **2nd generation** truck yet that broke this scenerio. Of course, I'm strickly talking about duallies.

7. DILLIGAF

Spent the day at the junk yards on Tuesday, couldn't find a single Dana 70 but there were about 35 14 bolts. Both single and dual rear wheel alxes are there, '70's to late 80's all had 14 bolt rears. I've got two 14 bolts here and both are from 1980's trucks. My problem is that I'd rather have a D70, but can't find one.

Most single wheel 14 bolts go for 120 here in So. Cal. If you happen across a single wheel w/4.56 it can go for 300+. Dual wheel axles are a little more, about 180.

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a single wheel with 4.56's for 450. Came out of another 72 so mods to make it work should be minor... If it were not for the gearing I wouldn't have bought it... Oh I forgot to mention.. for the 450 hes going to pull it for me /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif