Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

I'm going to look at 14 bolt tomorrow night and i want to know what should be some things i should really pay attention to. Any succession will be appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

if you want to add disc make sure that it is a pre 85 meaning you have to take the bolts on the hub off to get the drum off. otherwise you cant add disc breaks easily. open the diff to see if there are any metal pieces.

nathan

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If the seller allows you to take off the diff cover (if he/she doesn't, don't buy it...you don't know what could be hiding in there - if anything), look at the carrier. You want four holes - meaning open carrier - going into it...not three (gov-lock). The open carrier allows you to add a detroit locker later...and gov-locks suck. Also, get the gear ratio while the cover's off. It will need to match your front axle. And don't forget...you'll need 8 lug wheels in back. (meaning you'll be carrying two spares unless you swap in a 8 lug front axle/convert it to 8 lug)

Hope this helps...any more questions, just ask.