Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smp92xj, Mar 10, 2003.

1. smp92xj

smp92xj Registered Member

I just purchased a '89 k5, and am looking to do 1 ton conversions. found a 14 bolt for 200 less brakes. Has open carrior so I can put in a detroit. Swapping to discs also. Any suggestions on disc conversions, and anything else to look for.
    thanks

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is it FullFloater?

You can buy disc brake conversion bracket at A-tron... www.a-tron.net

And if you use GM 3/4 ton rotors or calipers you wont have an emergency brake, if you want the ebrake youll need ElDorado Calipers.
    You can get the whole set at and alot of advice and isntruction at ... http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

I am in the midle of a disk brake convertion right now I will have about 250 into it when it is all said and done
    110 for new roters 85 for the brackets 50 for new brake pads and i already have the calipers
    a little tip don't use the cady calipers they are not worth tha hasel of tracking them down and they are pricy if you want a parking break just use a line lock like i am going to use or a pinion brake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Do a search, both of these Q's have been covered several times.

5. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just a heads up on parts...if you order on line from kragen they knock about 20% off the price...

6. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

its cheaper to go with the disc conversion then it is just to do a brake job, I wish I did, plan on doing the yoke on the driveshaft too