Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 1, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey everyone I found a 14 Bolt FF yesterday for $75 drum to drum it has 3.73's. They came out from under a Burb. My question will it bolt directly up? Are the spring width's and spring perches the same as the Blazer. Hopefully he has got a Dana 60 too. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Well, since Suburbans were never 1 tons, the 14 bolt you are speaking of came from a 3/4 ton. Therefore, the spring perches are the correct distance apart and shocks should bolt right up. You will need a conversion U-joint and u-bolt spring plates. You may also have parking brake cable issues as well. Good Luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

what are the differences between 3/4 and 1 ton 14 Bolts? Are the 3/4 as strong? Thanks

-Brian

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Same strength as long as it is the FF design. The differences are where the spring perches are (3/4 and 1 ton are different width), and the brakes. Some 3/4 ton axle came with the smaller 11.5" rear drums. Some 3/4 tons, and all 1 tons (as far as I know) came with the larger 13" drums.

5. MTBLAZER89

If it has the smaller drums is it possible to run a 15 inch aluminum wheel? I know with the 13 inch drums you can't because the wheels are too thick. Thanks
    -Brian

6. DSJ

DSJ Registered Member

15" wheels will fit just fine one a 14ff. The problem comes in whith a one ton D60 front. The calipers hit a 15' wheel.

7. MTBLAZER89

Cool Thank's everyone!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Brian

8. Hossbaby50

Hold up there. I don't know if they will fit aluminums. They will fit steel, but I can't say yes to aluminum. Even if the alum's did clear the 13" rear they WILL NOT clear the front if you convert to 8 lug 3/4 ton front or 1 ton front. If you want to convert to 8 lug front you need steel or 16". You can get a conversion for the rear 14bff to make it 6 lug and not have the clearence issues with the front.

9. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the spring perches are farther apart on 3/4 tons and the brakes are bigger on 1 tons.

10. MTBLAZER89

Cool !! Yeah I still don't know if I am gonna get the converters from Echobit or get steel 8 lug wheels. Either way same amount of $$$ Just don't want too run two styles of wheels. Probably gonna keep the front stock for a while except for gears and lockers. I have heard they hold up pretty well.

11. MTBLAZER89

OK got the 14 Bolt today. Needs a little TLC (seals,bearings,sanded,and painted), but for $75 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    Now I have decided to go without spacers and just grab some 15" chrome rims $50 a piece. OK my question can I convert my 10b front end to 8 lug? Is this as simple as just changing the rotors???
    Thanks everybody I'm getting there
    -Brian

12. Hossbaby50

Do a search, or look in the tech section. You can convert to 8 lug. Many here have including me. It is not hard. You just need to find the brake backing plates, and rotor/hub assembly from an 8 lug front (post '76 is the best because they have larger wheel bearings). It is an easy process, if you can change rotors you can convert with no problems. You can read the whole writeup in the tech section. If you need any help search, post up, and if you feel the need you can PM me and I will tell you anything you need to know about the 8 lug swap.

Harley