Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 FF axleshaft seals- Diff leaking on wheels.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

Hey guys, i have a mid-late 70's (sorry don't know exact date, if theres a way to find out lemme know) 14 bolt FF thats been leaking on my drivers side rear wheel lately. I rebuilt this whole axle and the matching front dana 44 about 2 years ago. I think its leaking from the round, aluminum gasket between the axle shaft and the drum. If i'm correct, can I get this gasket at a parts store or do I need to go to the dealer? Anyone have a part #? Thanks alot..

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I just used alittle bit of RTV on mine, if i think your talking what i think your talking about, the bolts that hold the axleshaft in right?

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have had a hard time with that outer axle gasket myself.

Also make sure your inner seals aren't leaking because they will cause the brake to do funny things and pull to one side. I let my inner seal get too bad one time and had to jump on the brakes in the rain pulling a trailer with a ford F150 on it. The leaky drum pulled real hard and sent me into a spin and jacked knifed my trailer and /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem after converting to disc brakes and i found that the seal on the inside of the hub was leaking.

Here is the Autozone part number I used to correct it.
    TIMKEN INNER 2081 $3.19

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used RTV to seal my outers along with the metal gasket. My metal gaskets were kinda beat up when I got my axle and I didn't thing they would seal so I RTVed the metal gaskets and then put it in with RTV on both sides to help with the seals. Sofar so good. I did have one leak a little but I just popped it off and put some more RTV in and it is working so far. (2 years)

Harley

6. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    I think its leaking from the round, aluminum gasket between the axle shaft and the drum.

[/ QUOTE ] If that's where its leaking, just RTV both sides of the gasket you have, don't buy a new gasket, that's how I did mine. I would clean everything up, and find out where the leak is for sure.

7. Silverado4x4

Thanks for all the responses, I'll try that 2081 Timken #. I was thinking about just doubling up on the aluminum gaskets, since its really thin. Seems way too thin too offer any sealing properties. As far as a inner seal, not sure which one your talking about. I do remember, from this site, when I was rebuilding these axles about how a groove can be worn on the axle shafts themselves over time, and that can cause leaking too. Is this perhaps what your talking about? Thanks

8. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

The Fel Pro part number for the little gasket is 55350 and they are $1.99 on www.partsamerica.com (checker auto parts). They call it an axle flange gasket.

I got sick of cleaning RTV off everytime I pulled an axle so I used the gaskets on mine.

9. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as a inner seal, not sure which one your talking about.

[/ QUOTE ] I was refering to the inner hub seal. When you pull the hub off stand it up on the front of the hub with the drum hanging in the air. You will see the inner bearing in the hub and in front of that will be a round metal seal. You are supposed to change it everytime the hub is removed from the spindle but most people don't, which is why they leak most of the time. The seal must be pounded out and pounded back in, don't hit the bearing like most people do, get a small crows feet pry bar and pry on it until it pops out. Reinstalling is a little tricky, try to keep strait and lightly pound it in with a small hammer. Remember, pull a wheel....change a seal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I replaced mine a while back, so they are still made, and they were very cheap. But like others have said, no real point in replacing them if you don't need too. I bent one of mine. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif So I just decided to replace them both.

11. Silverado4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    The Fel Pro part number for the little gasket is 55350 and they are $1.99 on www.partsamerica.com (checker auto parts). They call it an axle flange gasket.

I got sick of cleaning RTV off everytime I pulled an axle so I used the gaskets on mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, I was just gonna post that. I searched about 4 parts stores on saturday looking for that damn gasket. 55350.
    Finally got it and now its perfect. THanks alot guys..
    Man, I forgot how huge those axleshafts are, whew.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

No need to get new "gaskets" just clean them, and silicone both sides.