Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 FF compared to a 14 bolt SF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, Mar 27, 2003.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

which is better or is there any difference in durability between the 14 bolt SF and the 14 bolt FF? i'm just curious because i will upgrade to a 14 later on and i don't really want to have to buy new rims. the biggest tires i will probably run will be 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The FF (full floater) is stronger than the SF (semi floater). Both are a lot stronger than a 10 bolt. If you never want to go above 35's I think a 6 lug 14SF would be your best bet. They are harder to find and will cost more than a 14ff but because you won't have to buy new wheels you end up spending less money. You will also have better ground clearance and it is easier to do brakes on a SF because you don't have to pull the hub.

However if you abuse your truck offroad get the FF. Lockers are a lot cheeper for a 14 FF than any other axle. They also cost less than the SF's because they are older axles and there were more of them made. Also if you do snap a axle shaft the wheel will not come off on a 14FF like it will in any SF axle which might mean the difference between driving home and a flatbed.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    which is better or is there any difference in durability between the 14 bolt SF and the 14 bolt FF? i'm just curious because i will upgrade to a 14 later on and i don't really want to have to buy new rims. the biggest tires i will probably run will be 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ] The 14 Bolt FF is deffently stronger, but if you plan on playing in the rocks, you might run into a problem with ground clearence, or if you're into high speed desert running, the 14 Bolt FF might be alittle heavy for you. Please tell us what your goals are, and I'm sure we can recomend some options for you.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

right now i have a 2 1/2"lift with front and rear springs and 33's. I plan on keeping the same lift for now and when i buy tires next time i plan on buying 35's and doing some fender trimming. here in Nv i mainly just do some rock crawling, but nothing too major. hopefully in the next year or two i can get stationed back in the midwest somewhere, so then i'll probably do a lot of mudding. right now my drivetrain is pretty much stock 350tbi, 700r4, i plan on upgrading the engine with a cam, heads and headers, and swapping my tranny out for a 465 eventually, that or getting my 700r4 built up.

does that help?