Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 FF Disc brake rotors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, Aug 1, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

When using the 1977 Cadillac calipers with the e-brake levers I have read that you use 73-87 GM 3/4 ton rotors and in another article I read that you need rotors that are 1.250" thick. Does all of this sound correct? Does anyone have a part number for these rotors?

After a trip to "Napa Auto Parts" - the rotors are actually 1.312" thick and the part number is 85679. The cost for U.S. made rotors is 109.39 each

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 45acp on 08/01/01 04:26 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Have a look at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.com/chevy>www.off-road.com/chevy</a> under disk brake conversion right up.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

yeah, 3/4 ton 73 to 87' rotors will work.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I've done that same conversion and I used 3/4 ton rotors.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. How much weight are you actually loosing by doing this conversion?

(ftn96)

6. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I shaved over 40 lbs, but it is more the killer stoping power and no brake fade that made me convert.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

7. That was my next question as most vehicles braking comes from the front so I was wondering how much extra braking you were actually gonna gain or notice.

(ftn96)

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Just use a standard 3/4 ton, Chevy front rotor. The braking gain is a noticable amount. Besides, what looks more stud than a massive 14 bolt hub surrounded by a disk brake rotor?

thebigdaddyof2

9. Next question, would it be cheaper in general to try and find these parts individually at yards rather than buy them from TSM? Or are they hard to locate in yards? I guess most of this depends on the area in which you live and what cars are more available in your particular area!

(ftn96)

10. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

When I have completed the conversion I will post all costs and part numbers. I am making my own plates and buying used cadillac calipers for cores to be rebuilt. Stay tuned.

<font color=red> Bill, "Shop Rat" </font color=red>

11. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

If you get the kit from TSM, the only thing that they really send that you could have gotten at the parts house is the rotors. That's the general kit. I got my calipers at the parts house, but I'm just using the regular GM front calipers. My state did away with safety inspections, so I'm good to go without a parking brake.

Brian60s sent me a bracket that I copied and had a local steel mill reproduce, but they took FOREVER to do it. I finally got tired of waiting on them and ordered the TSM kit. The bracket are nice and bolt on without a hitch. They came with the rotors, so I used them. I also got their braided stainless lines. They were actually cheaper and longer than the lines I got from the parts house.

As for increased stopping power, not really. I haven't noticed anything out of mine that would imply that they are making a difference. I haven't had to do any quick stops or slow down from 90 going down a hill yet, so they may have just not been able to show what they can do yet. The weight savings and simplicity is the WHOLE reason I went with disks on the back.

Kyle
    89K5

12. solowookie

ok, here is my input...

I don't know if misfit is selling the backing plates or not, but you could save yourself some good $$$ getting the backing plates from him.

I'd get the rotors locally. rotors are cheap, and it should be a LOT cheaper to pay tax then shipping on them.

you definately want to get the calipers from TSM. when you get the calipers from the parts store is does NOT come with the e-brake arm. if you get calipers from a junk yard for your core then you still going to pay $$$ to get them rebuilt. this way is a LOT more hassell free, and they also give you the caliper bolts and the pads. etc. (they are fully loaded).

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

So does the TSM kit come with the calipers?

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Rene,

No, it does not...It comes with everything you need besides the Flexible brake hoses and the calipers.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks, I wasn't sure.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

16. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Getting all of the responce is great but I needed this information earlier to save the money. We need to pool the information we all gather and share it. I think that is what Steve talks about when he requests technical reports to be posted. I'm am not very good at doing reports but when this project is done I will try to get all part number and costs together for everyone else.

17. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

You have a link for TSM? Or some contact info?

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

18. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

No. I have not found a web site for them.

19. solowookie

when I did my disk brake conversion I order same SS lines for the back from TSM, the calipers, and the backing plates. I really would try misfits backing plates I've seen them and they are really nice, and you'd save yourself a good chunk if he's still selling them.

so I'd get everything from TSM except the backing plates (misfit) and the rotors (local so you can save on the shipping).

20. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i did a short little write up a while ago and here it is

I'm almost done w/ the disk brakes for he 14FF using Misfits brackets. This was probably one of the easiest things I have ever done to my truck. I'll have some pictures when I'm completly done. Here are some of the things I had to buy

1. Misfits brackets and spacers ($65.00)
    2. Bolts to hold caliper-2 1/2" long (8 @ $0.80)
    3. Locking nuts on the back of the bolts cause I'm paranoid
    (8 @ $0.65)
    4. 1975 Dana 44 8 lug rotors (2 @ $35.99 w/ 2 yr waranty at Auto Zone.
    5. New seals for the bearings (berings were fine)(2 @ $2.59)

All I need are the calipers
    From what I've noticed prices are different everywhere but here the Dana 44 rotors are $35.99 each w/ $10.00 core
    and the caddy ones are $70.00 each w/ $70.00 core. Umm yeah i think I will go w/ the Dana 44 unless I can find the caddy ones much cheaper.
    I need the caliper hardware (the bolts and sleves to mount it to the bracket) and pads (i think the calipers were either loaded or you can get them loaded for a little more.)
    Rubber brake lines cause the caliper moves and therefore would eventually break the hard line. I can get them here for about $5.00 but you can order them through TSM for $50.00, yeah you know what i'm gonna do.
    And if need be a proportioning valve. Check the summit catalog.

All of this added up is around $260---Half of what you'd spend on the TSM kit. Of course add $190 if you use the caddy calipers and $45 for the TSM brake lines. and what ever for the proportioning valve.

Hope this helps anyone that might be planning on or actually doing this conversion. Again this was amazingly easy, I think even my sister could do it

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann