Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 ff disc brakes and rear 56in leaf springs.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82TOYLB, Dec 16, 2002.

1. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

I have two seperate situations here, one a question and one a thought.
    1. Why have the machinists who make the disc brake conversion brackets not added a few inches more on their brackets to accomadate a mechanism like the all-pro offroad toy t/case ebrake. If one was added just under the caliper on the bracket you could just hook up the stock ebrake cables to the lever and have an ebrake with your disc brakes. (Maybe it would not have enough stopping power, but the driveshaft ebrake on my brothers Toy works OK and it has more gearing to overcome to stop the vehicle than if it was right at the wheel)
    2. Has anyone taken the ORD shackle reversal kit and put it on backwards on a K5 with the 52 in. rear springs? And instead used 56 in. rear springs. I think it would be close enough to work with just slightly longer than stock rear shackles. I know it would move my axle back 2 inches, not a problem. I ask this so I don't blow $300 on 2 or 4 inch lift rear springs (56 inch) only to find my idea didn't work?

If anyone has any ideas on either of these please respond.
    Thanks,
    Michael.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

1. I agree you can have a bigger plate to accomodate an E brake setup. But the setup on the driveline , by the way, has less leverage on the tires due to the gearing in the axles.
    The multiplier makes the force exerted on the driveline more than what you get on the brkes directly on the axles.
    2. You can use the ORD shackles on the opposite sides and you should be fine with the different spring.
    another kit that is easier too is the Echobit bolt on shackle flip kit.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I used the ORD brackets swapped side to side on my 79 K10 which had 52" springs factory. I built leaf packs using mostly 56" springs and mounted them backwards. It moved my rearend back 4". I'm currently running the factory shackles. It had them back just a little more than I would like, but they don't hit under compression and the droop is awesome. When I get around to swapping my bed out for a better one, I will probably move the hangers back about 2". I plan to stick with factory rear shackles unless I need just a little more lift or something similar.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1) The driveline e-brake gives about 2 times more holding power with one on the driveshaft vs. one on each wheel. Also the mechanical caliper is made for about a 3/8" rotor (not the 1-1/4" rotor used for the disc swap).

2) The chevy 56" springs are the same length from the center pin to the front eye as stock 52" springs. The extra 4" is on the rear. When you turn around the shackle flip bracket you get about 2" of movement. You would have to use longer shackles or you could just move them back using the stock rear holes and drilling some more for the back holes.

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I've been following this post because the idea of flipping the shackle flip bracket around and using 56" springs is awesome!

So if you switched the brackets to the other sides, used the factory rear holes for the front and drilled two more holes in the frame for the rear, it would work? and from what I understand, the rear diff should stay where it is because the front eye is the same distance front the center pin?

I assume you guys are speaking of using the 4" ORD shackle flip ... I've got the 2 1/2" shackle flip and was wondering what I would have to do differently to make this work for me.

If someone does this (or did it), a write up would be great /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thomas.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You don't have to swich them sides if you drill some new holes. IIRC the holes are around 4" appart.
    One of the SoCalBigDawgs did this to his blazer. Even without removing any leaves it flexes ok. It did not move his axle at all from where it was with the shackle flip and 52" springs. I don't know why everyone is going to 57" ford springs when these are such a easy swap and all you have to do is take out a few leaves if you want it to flex more.

7. 82TOYLB

82TOYLB Registered Member

I realize the all-pro ebrake setup is for a 3/8 inch thick rotor. I was not saying to use their setup but one like it that was fabbed for the 3/4 ton chevy rotor. It may not have the stopping power of the driveline brake, but you would have two of them compared to the driveline brake. Also you could improve the stopping power by using larger pads in it or increase clamping force by using a longer lever arm from the cable to fulcrum and a shorter arm from the fulcrum to pad. I think it could be done quite easily. It would take me a few hours to fab it while using my brothers all pro one for design ideas. However I could never mass produce them like these machinists. As far as the 4 inch ORD shackle reversal with 56 in. rears I will try to just flop them side to side and then run 'slightly' longer than stock shackles. When I get around to this I will post pics. (probably sometime in January-March.)