Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 FF from 2 wheel drive???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chaka454, Apr 10, 2002.

1. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Would a 14 ff from a 2 wheel truck fit my Blazer, it's from either a 74 Bonanza 20 pick up truck or from a 78 Van they are both 14 ff's wich one should I go with that would fit my truck better, what do you guys think?

2. spaceboy

spaceboy 1/2 ton status

I would go with the van one. If I remember correctly the van rear end is a little wider than other 14 bolts. It puts it at the same width as the front axle. I could be wrong though . . . .

3. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

I heard something like that too but I'm not sure anybody?

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The van 14bff will make your track match, but you will have to move the spring perches and possibly shock mounts if I remember right. The other axle should just bolt in but you will have to modify the e-brake cable I believe. My 14bff is from a 76 3/4 ton (i believe it is 2wd). I will have to modify the e-brake cables, and possibly shock mounts.

5. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Hmm I dont want to mess with the spring perches or the shock mounts, the e-brake I could, I might go with the pick up 14 bolt than, is this a wise idea?

6. Hossbaby50

It is exactly what I am doing. I will have to modify the ebrake cables because my truck is an 85, but with yours being a 78 you might not have to. I don't know for sure. The track width in the rear was set narrower in the rear so that your truck would turn tighter. All K5's and 4x4 pickups are set up like that. So I don't see why it would be a bad idea. Shock mounts might not have to be moved either. I have been told no on axles from a 4x4, but from a 2x4 I don't know. Actually it would be good info, besause I need to know too.

7. chaka454

chaka454 1/2 ton status

Yeah that would be good to know before I start the project.

8. Hossbaby50

There are a couple different people that make custom weld on or bolt on shock mount kits that you can use. That way you would only have to grind the old shock mounts off, and bolt the new ones one. Steve Frisbie at Misouri Offroad makes them. They are on his site in the join Ck5 page, and a member here makes them too. He doesn't advertise so I won't name names.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The 2wd rear will bolt in and work just fine.

The only difference between the 2wd and 4wd rear is the shock mounts. This is the 3/4 ton axle we are talking about.

The 4wd shock mounts are shorter, closer to the tube.
    The 2wd shock mounts are longer downward, away from the tube.

But, 3/4 ton axles have the perches and shock mounts in the proper locations as to fit a Blazer.

I would not worry about the perch or mount. They are fine. Just get some longer shocks for the rear, due to the longer mount. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif