Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 FF Gear head ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Jul 29, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Wes, ANybody...
    Got my 14 FF sitting in the garage. I need help translation from 10 bolt gear swap/removal inspection to 14 bolt gear/swap/removal info.
    I know the the gear setup stuff for the 10 bolt's. But this is the first time I've torn into a 14. Just need to knwo what all the differences are and tip tricks, etc etc. Special things to look for as far as what it has in it and all.

Oh heres one. I have read somewhere looking for new gears that the 14 has 2 different carrier sizes? Is this correct. Like the 4.10 would be the largest gear I could have on the smaller carrier, then I'd have to go to a different carrier to swap in a 4.56. Is this correct? Or is there a trick 4.56 gear you can get to fit the smaller carrier.

All the little stuff like this is what Im after here.
    Sorry for Rambling. I just got outta bed after dreaming about this thing all night. So the brain is going several miles a minute.

I pay ya to work it not jerk it![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. Yes you'll have to change the carrier.The low carrier is 3.42 to 4.10,the high is 4.56 to 5.13.
    I cant help you with any trics or tips yet though,sorry.

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What about these THICK gears I keep seeing? Would they not do the trick? OR is it better to go ahead and get a different carrier?

Also I noticed on the spare open carrier it came with, one of the inner part of the carrier bearing is slipping on the carrier. I am assuming this is bad

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Randys Ring and Pinion has the best deal on the thick ring gear. I was going to do the same thing in mine but found another 14ff with 4:56's and a Detroit cheaper then I could do the swap in the one with 4:10's.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wayne![​IMG]

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I also used the thick gears and also got them from Randy's. fit great. I had 4.10 and went to 5.13.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

7. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

you wanted a tip, so I will try to give you a couple.
    tip #1 shet can the 14 bolt rebuild and buy one that I have brand spanking new in the crate with 4.56s already installed for only $775.

tip#2 refer to tip #1

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

LMFAO!!! Somehow I knew you were going to say that Brian!!
    But in repsonse to that I'll have to say.....NOT

Well. If figured alot of stuff out. It looks as thought setting up gears on this 14 bolt will be was easier that a 10 bolt.
    I just have one question. On the adjusting shims for the carrier bearings, Is there a special trick to getting your backlash and preload set so that the holes line up for the prong that goes in at the top?

And is it really that easy to set the pinion depth? Just remove the pinion assembly with those 6 bolts and install a shim there adn reinstall the assembly? If so that is the bomb.
    Sounds like GM got there $hit together with this baby.

Anyway, I cleaned it up pretty good yesterday everything seems to work and run smoothly. Except the passenger drum hangs at one spot, but the brake adjusting access hole was crammed full of crud. So I need to take that drum off and get all the mud outta there. Im assuming theres a bunch of crud at one point where it has been setting andwhen the drum adn brake bad in counter that section it holds it up. But just by spinning the yoke, both drums rotate in the same direction.[​IMG]

9. You mite have got luck and got a locked one!!
    I pretty sure thats how you do the pinion setup but not 100%
    Good luck though.

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yep, I think it has a Gov-lock. But its a 14 bolt gov-lock. So It will be ok for a while.