Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 FF pinion bearing replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Mar 8, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I was under my truck checking for loose bolts, greasing U-joints etc. When checking the rear driveshaft I noticed some up and down play at the pinion on my 14 bolt. Probably 1/8" up and down...:crazy:

I haven't taken anything apart yet, but I am fairly certain the pinion bearings are wiped out. I guess depending on what the oil looks like I will be replacing all the bearings. Carrier bearings I've done, but never pinion bearings. Does the 14 bolt FF use a crush sleeve? Anyone care to give me a quick run through?

I'll probably upgrade to a 1410 yoke while I'm at it...

Rene

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

A FF14 does use a crush sleeve. I'm not sure if you can buy a solid sleeve or not. In my opinion, it's really easy because all you have to do is pull out the whole pinion assembly and work on it on a bench. The hardest thing for me was getting the crush sleeve started crushing. Also, the pinion assembly will only go back in one way, so you might want to mark it in relation to the housing for easy of reassembly. Of course the pinion depth shims are housed between the pinion assembly and the housing. You'll want to pull it out, press off the old bearings, and press on the new ones. Don't forget to put in a new "pocket bearing" while you're in there. The most important thing is to preload the new bearings properly (a little tight since they're new...maybe 25 inch pounds required to spin the pinion) and to install the pinion depth shims with no sealer of any kind because it would change the thickness and affect your pinion depth. The assembly is sort of press fit into the housing and you shouldn't have any trouble with leaks just installing it back clean, bare metal. I hope you're not confused after reading this. It's an easy job and I don't think you'll have any trouble. Don't forget to make the spanners to make setting backlash back an easy job.

3. BigDummy89K5

BigDummy89K5 Registered Member Author

Well it sure looks like some buddy is trying to sell something to the wife:grin: .