Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 ff pinion seal bearing preload Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Dec 10, 2005.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

Hey I was reading old posts and saw one that said you can mess up the bearing preload when changing out the pinion seal if you dont use a new crush sleeve and nut. I changed my seal about a year ago and didn't know this. Is there some way to tell if my rear is screwed up or going to be? I used the same old crush sleeve and pinion nut.. just used a breaker bar and locktight for assembly. :doah:

2. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Pull the pinion support, put it in a vice, use an inch/lbs torque wrench and check the running torque of the pinion. For new bearings it is between 25-35 in/lbs for used bearings I want to say it is 5-15 in/lbs. If it has been a year and you have no problems you are prolly good. If you only used a breaker bar unless you really put some ass into it you prolly did not change the preload. I just set up my 14FF and I had a 3/4 drive ratchet with a 3 foot cheater bar and it still kicked my ass.:D I went too far and I got the pleasure of doing it twice.

Ira

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

My leaky rearend

[​IMG]
    Would this be a pinion seal? I think I posted up in the past, but never got a definite answer. What other seals would cause this? I was under my truck working on it yesterday and noticed that it had gotten alot worse than when I took this picture.
    Where can I buy the seal(s)? How in the world to I learn to properly change it/them? what tools are necessary?
    I'm really concerned my 14ff is gonna be toast if I don't firgure this thing out.
    Thanks,
    James:bow:

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats the pinion seal. It hides behind the steel cover.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

so how hard is it to change? what tools/ skills are involved?
    thanks,
    James