Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14" leafs steering problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RootBreaker, Nov 29, 2001.

1. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

14\" leafs steering problem

Here is my delema
    Back in 1997 I lifted my 1978 chevy truck but found out they passed a new law...the truck was supposedly to high..well now I found out it is legal. So I just started working on the truck again...

Here is my delema. I can turn the steering wheel like normal but the tires only turn 1/8 way to the left and 1/4 way to the right????

I dont get it..
    I have a dana 44 front
    I put a drop pitman arm,
    Raised steering arm
    S-Drag Link ( 4" drop S-Bar ) in.
    Now The tires are straight and it isnt like the truck turns all the way to the right and not enough to the left????
    IT IS NOT ENOUGH EITHER WAY???
    anyone got any info for me?

With the wheels straight I can turn the wheel 1 1/2 turns each way.
    thanks
    RootBreaker
    South, NJ

Chrome Dont Get You Home...
    and looking at my truck is definite proof...
    1978 Chevy 3/4 ton
    350ci 9C1 roller police motor
    14" leafs
    dana 44 w/4.56's
    14 bolt corp w/4.56's
    40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs
    16.5x12 steel rims

2. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Re: 14\" leafs steering problem

I think the 14 springs are the problem. Does your axle rotate (pinion up & down) instead of the tires turing side to side ?

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

you need crossover steering to regain your steering.

ken

4. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Re: 14

cross over wont work with that much lift without a track bar.
    You will have too much side to side movement of the axle.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Sorry, you are incorrect. I'm running 12" Nationals with crossover steering on my Suburban and do not have a track bar and have had zero problems. Also, my buddy just put 16" Nationals (!!!!) on his '87 crewcab one ton with crossover...again, no problems. Track bars are for Fords!!

ken

6. j20m715

j20m715 1/2 ton status

Ken I will take a 1/2 right on that. I tried it with 12 superlift kit with 44s and all it would do is fold the springs up ( pull the axle sideways under the truck. I have nationals on my daily driver and really like them. I wouldnt say track bars are only for fords, Stephen ran one on his blazer before the coil overs.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I'm just funnin about track bars being for Fords. If I felt I needed one, I would install one in a heart-beat!

ken

8. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Hey root, I posted a reply on pavementsucks.com about two weeks ago. Too long to retype. Check it out-hope it helps.

9. RootBreaker

Thanks 87GMC,
    I re-read the post... I also talked to the guy that lifted my truck and I also called Skyjacker as they sell the 4" s-drag link. They both agree that the cross over steering would fix it and is nice but they both say it is not needed. I had the guy that lifted my truck come over last night... The first thing we did was inspect the frame for cracks. there are none. Also we jacked the truck up and put floor jacks under the rear to keep both tires off the ground. Steering still doesnt go all the way. If I unkook the S-bar I can physically move the wheels both ways really far. So nithing is binding so I agree with you that something is wrong in the component area.
    A question I have for ya is I was told that the leafs are NEW so I have to wait until they settle from driving. They will settle approximately 1-2"'s?
    I dont know much about steering but lemme see if I am correct.......
    3" raised steering arm
    4" drop drag link
    3" drop pitman arm
    that = 10 inch worth of components. If you lift a truck 14" shouldnt your steering components add up to 14" to match? I believe my s-drag is on an angle.... so If I buy the 2" block for under the raised steering arm that puts me up to 12" and when the truck settles I will be at 12" leafs and 12" suspension.... Does that seem correct or am I on the wrong track? Some day I will put a dana 60 in with cross over steering.... that is a $800 somevday....
    thanks for all the help....
    RootBreaker

p.s. Also ColoradoK5.com rocks, pavementsucks.com is good 2 and the guys local to me are at chevyboys.com so check them all out......

10. RootBreaker

oh yeah... that was floor jacks under the FRONT rear.....
    Also the 2" block under the raised steering arm would bring the s-bar to a more level approach which to me would give more throw?????
    RootBreaker

11. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

With that much lift cross-over steering is definately needed. When i had a 12" suspension lift even with the drag link, steering arm, and steering block my steering was crap. You can get a cross-over setup for your d44 or 10 bolt (which ever you have) now and when your ready to go d60 you can sell it to someone who has a d44 or 10 bolt. I'm sure you could find someone who would want it.

<font color=red>Sean<font color=red>

[​IMG]<font color=red>79 k20(duh) d44, 14bolt, built 350,350,np203,9"lift</font color=red>[​IMG]

12. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Something else to look at. When you turn the wheel, do the axle and body shift shift side to side in relation to each other? The way to fix that is to install a track bar. This goes from the frame on the driver's side to axle or spring mount on the passinger's side. This eliminate's the side to side flex. It is a good idea with that much lift, but it has to be installed correctly or it can create more problems. Ideally, the bar should be level or slightly lower on the passinger's side when the truck is level. The springs settling won't fix you're steering problem. 12" lift springs have such a high spring rate and extreme arch that settling won't really be much of an issue. You're thinking correctly by tring to match the steering correction to the amount of lift. The 2" steering block will help and will be the best you can do with the current setup. But nothing is as good as the allmighty "crossover steering". If you bought it now, you would only need a new steering arm when you get the dana 60. One other note if you have the crossover and a track bar, they need to be parallel to each other. That will fix all the steering problems.

13. RootBreaker

Hmmm... I am confused... can you explain a bit more on the axle and body shift shift part? I dont quite understand... ( steering was never my thing...just go over it...)
    anyway..... If I turn the steering so the tires are both facing straight..... I have an even amount of turns both left and right....
    when I turn the wheels the tires turn a bit.. doesnt seem to be any binding. hmmmm I dunno....

Everyone keeps on pointing over to cross over steering.. how much are we talking in parts all together??? I am going to go and check out that web page and see how much this is gonna cost.....

14. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

It's probably not the problem, but here goes. It takes alot of power to move large,heavy tires. It could be easier to push the body than turn the tires. The more distance between the axle and frame the more likely it is to happen. Have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock while you watch the leaf springs from the front. They should stay straight, but if they angle side to side exessively, that is where one problem is at. Kind of hard to explain, but I hope that helps.

15. RootBreaker

Well I appreciate all the posts to this... I looked at the truck again last night.... Seems that the cross over steering is gonna be needed. What I noticed is that the pitman arm turns from front to back and doesnt have enough throw. It moves completely from front to back. I will persue the cross over steering next... I am gonna wait until after x-mas.... I have just put $700 into my 96 camaro ( Rolled 102k miles ) and it is the food supplier to my family table.... I drive minimum 100 miles a day... From NJ to DE...
    but on the bright side....my birthday is Jan 3 !!!!!!! so sounds like a good gift from me to meds.... :D :)

16. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

No problem, let me know how it goes.

17. SANDMAN500

SANDMAN500 Registered Member

If you decide to go with crossover i have a freind that builds crossover kits. He can sell you an arm for a 44 or a 60. He builds nice quality stuff for alot cheaper than the big boys.Let me know if your interested and i'll give you his number and send you some pics. Thanks.....Tony

18. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am interested in an arm for a 60.
    Could you send some info to me by e-mail?

Thanks
    Ken H..

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

19. RootBreaker

Well I will let you know.... I found a guy that has a 78 dodge with a dana 60 in the truck in the junk yard. All he wants is ""$300"" for the dana 60. I am gonna check to see if it has 4.56's in it. If it does... I will take it and for an extra $150 he said I can have the crossover bar, and steering box and arm. My only question is .... will a dodge steering box work on my chevy? My current arm swings from front to back where on the dana 60 it needs to go from left to right???
    thanks
    RootBreaker

20. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Still waiting for the info on the 60 arms?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    14 bolt and Dana 60
    44 TSLs
    468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!