Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 or 12 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 82K5_6.5L, May 26, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well i have a chance to spend a nice amount of cash on the blazer..so my first thing was 36 or 37 inch tires.. then axles came to mind..i need either a 12 bolt in the rear or 14..which one? then the front, what is the best bet to put up front, maybe a dana 60? cuz its gonna be locked front and rear.. but im thinkin a detroit rear and an ARB up front. the truck is going to become just a trail truck.. then i need gears and i think im good.. plus i want like a 12,000lbs winch.. me and my buddy are going to have matching trucks he has a suburban so whatever i do, he will do..its a long story why were doing this.. but is a 14 bolt going to be better and what up front? and a good gear ratio..what maybe 5.13's?? thanks alot..any info would be great! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

With that size tires, gears and lockers you should get a 14 bolt, no point in putting a big Dana 60 in the front and keep half ton running gear in the back.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I second that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yea you have it right, 5:13's, one ton axles, lockers front and rear. Id go with some more rubber though. 42"s?

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

id go with a 8.5" 10 bolt over a 12 bolt truck axle, or at least with a car 12 bolt, either have stronger pinions than the 12 bolt truck axles

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'll second the keeping the 10 bolt over a 12 bolt. I believe it's a better axle despite the 12 bolt having beefier shafts and a slightly larger ring gear.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Yes, 14-bolt for sure. And do it before you spend money on fancy wheels. There's a ton on money out there wasted on converting Dana 60's and 14ff's into 5 or 6 lug for the sake of some beadlocks that were bought to soon. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, 14-bolt for sure. And do it before you spend money on fancy wheels. There's a ton on money out there wasted on converting Dana 60's and 14ff's into 5 or 6 lug for the sake of some beadlocks that were bought to soon. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

uh huh.. what he said......
    14bolts are everywhere... so cheap too...... at least i can pick them up here for $50-$150.... each... i am thinking of buying all 25 from the guy down the road... figuring out how to ship them and selling them... soon....

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

W/ 37s you will spend a lot more $$$ keeping 1/2 ton stuff together than if you just bought 1 ton to start w/ on something as heavy as a K5. And search, its been talked about too many times to count.

10. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    W/ 37s you will spend a lot more $$$ keeping 1/2 ton stuff together than if you just bought 1 ton to start w/ on something as heavy as a K5. And search, its been talked about too many times to count.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ok so it sounds like 14 bolt is the way to go..but i guess im a little confused..what axle up front? i dont want to big tires, i like 37's or 38's... cuz 95% of the trails out in my neck of the woods i have conquered with 3.5" lift and 33's, so i dont know i like 37s..

11. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ok so it sounds like 14 bolt is the way to go..but i guess im a little confused..what axle up front? i dont want to big tires, i like 37's or 38's... cuz 95% of the trails out in my neck of the woods i have conquered with 3.5" lift and 33's, so i dont know i like 37s..

[/ QUOTE ]

well everyone will tell you a dana60 up front... strong and stoute... but you can put a dana44 up front.. if you dont have one... and get stronger universal joints... and they make harder axle shafts... if you are not gonna wheel superiorly hard.....

12. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well everyone will tell you a dana60 up front... strong and stoute... but you can put a dana44 up front.. if you dont have one... and get stronger universal joints... and they make harder axle shafts... if you are not gonna wheel superiorly hard.....

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm..now thats a thought.. would it work with big tires, and a locker? i like that..sounds good!

13. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm..now thats a thought.. would it work with big tires, and a locker? i like that..sounds good!

[/ QUOTE ]

i will say again... if you dont wheel hard
    dont go with a detroit in front... go with a forgiving locker like a truetrac.... i know a guy that has a ford d44 with stronger axles, 4.88's and a truetrac.. he wants $250... I was going to get a d60 but for now..... and i will be putting a d60 in in the future... i am going to get his innards and use them in my chevy d60....
    i know a guy that has ran 40" ground hawgs and never broke axles.... went to 44's and snapped them.....

this guy with the ford d44.. had 44's and as each axle broke he put some other in... i am going to get the name of the axles he used.......
    now b4 everyone starts disagreeing... he says the gears, axles and locker will work in a chevy..... so i am going to get him to bring over the rear, help me put it all together, then i will pay him. I want to make sure it works b4 i pay........ but hey if it works then cool... then i gotta change the fricken rear gears from 4.56's to 4.88's!!!!!!!!!, detroit and rear discs......

now i would really like peoples (non flamed) response...
    will a 1979 ford f250 dana 44 inards work in a 1979 chevy dana 44????? even if just the axles worked would it be worth the $250 to put the stronger axles in? then sell the ford d44, 4.88's. locker for say $350?
    /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    will a 1979 ford f250 dana 44 inards work in a 1979 chevy dana 44????? even if just the axles worked would it be worth the $250 to put the stronger axles in? then sell the ford d44, 4.88's. locker for say $350?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ford uses reverse-spiral (aka high-pinion) gears in a '79. They won't work in the chevy housing. The locker itself can be swapped. The axle shafts aren't the same lengths.

You could use the Ford front axle as-is. You would need to swap to a LH drop t-case , or simply add a remote-mount Ford NP205 behind your existing t-case.

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if you dont already have a NICE setup put that money is a nice QUALITY tool set. and a few specific tools as well, like hub sockets. then i would start with the axles. 14 bolt and D60 are fairly bulet resistant. (flame away on that boys) but a better combo is for D60 front and High pinion D60 Rear. if something breaks on one parts from the other can get you home. also gear choices are better for the 60 than the 14bolt. you also need to give me your 6.2L... i mean umm...

anywhoo, axles and rims is the way to go for MOST people. a small right foot and 38's and your 10bolts can survive on the road and a lot of trails. marv runs 35's and the doubler on his 44 and 12 bolt. yeah they are a bit stronger than the 10 bolts but not much. he is nice on the right foot and can manage not to break to much. but you are also talking 38's

personaly i would advise the axles 60 front and rear, then the motor to be pepped up if not already, a cage(talk to rus(baddog) he can help ya there if ya dont have the rescources yourself) and then tires.

trail only rig, get the best you can. it will take longer, but be worth it.
    Grant

17. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    No they will not work, look here, click on axels and you will see they are different P/N's because the legenths are not the same, even the stubs are different:
    http://products.warn.com/warn.nsf/warn?openframeset&frame=body&src=/warn.nsf/pages/TruckProducts.Main.html
    and as previously stated a '79 Ford uses a HP housing, so the gears wont work either.
    The diff and the u-joints will swap, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn i figured that..... i just missed out on a chevy dana 60 front, 4.56's and true-trac.... $1000... I told him i will take the next one so he is looking for the parts now!!!!!!!!!!

18. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't use a high pinion rear axle in a full size, you're running on the weak side of the gears most of the time. Guys do it in jeeps because they can get away with it (lighter) and because they have to (driveline angles).

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wouldn't use a high pinion rear axle in a full size, you're running on the weak side of the gears most of the time. Guys do it in jeeps because they can get away with it (lighter) and because they have to (driveline angles).

[/ QUOTE ]

im not saying you are wrong here but the reverse rotation gears take care of this weakness you talk about do they not?

i dont see how they could be weaker. please explain.

to the origonal poster, if you got the cash go with an aftermarket D60 high pinion center and 4 wheel steering...
    grant

20. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Well, how about this, a quote taken from Dynatrac's website, some folks who know a thing or two about building axles:

Reverse-cut rear axles should be avoided for heavy GVW vehicles or heavy highway towing. Dynatrac has thoroughly tested Dana 44 reverse-cut, and Ford 8.8 reverse-cut, rear axles and found them to be weak and prone to failure in all but the very, very lightest duty applications.

Blah blah, they go on to say that the D60 high pinion will withstand adverse conditions, but the fact is that high pinion axles are not as strong for rear use.