Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 sf 6 lug drums & parts on a 12 bolt ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Apr 4, 2005.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

can it be done ?, gettin the idea from another post, im wantin better brakin' for less $$$$$$$, lol. all comments and info will be greatly appreciated. :cool1: :grin:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well wheel cylinders will interchange it looks like. Wheel cylinder changes on other vehicles have netted better braking without changing pad size.

Most of the brake stuff appears identical on my 6 lug 14SF and my 10 bolt. The drum appears to be the same size or very close, I need to actually measure the brake pads, apparently two different sizes and not a whole lot of difference in the width. I have a feeling mine are the smaller ones since the drums are visually near identical in diameter.

Perhaps earlier 14SF's are different, but my supposedly later (1997 I was told) 14SF has a drum with a hub section that is 1/2" to an inch taller than the actual braking surface. So the wheel mounting surface is that much further "out" on the drum. Likely that would kill the swap, as the 14SF drum would hit the backing plate before the drum "bottomed out" on the axleshaft flange.

The backing plates won't be a bolt on affair, (different pattern) and they are different than the 10 bolt at least in how the drum "seals" against them.

12 bolt stuff for drums should be identical to the 10 bolts.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

All the 14SF drums I have seen are much deeper than any 10/12-bolt stuff. There's about 4" of axle tube that sticks out past the backing plate.

The other tough part is the center hole on the newer trucks is smaller. That means the newer drums won't fit unless you machine the drum or axle.

4. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

ttt