Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 SF axle swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnyringo, Nov 5, 2001.

1. johnnyringo

johnnyringo Newbie

Hello everyone. I'm new to this post. I spend a lot of time at www.chevytalk.com. No one there, however, has been able to help me out on this one. I have an '86 K10 with the GM corporate 10 bolt frontend and rearend. I want to upgrade my rear without messing with the front (I want to stay with 6 lugs) so I'm trying to find out what I need to do to swap out my 10 bolt rear for a 14 bolt SF. I picked one up at a local swapmeet but it has th 8 lug axles. I do know that there are 6 lug versions available. Has anybody here done this swap? What is involved? Is it worth adapting my 8 lug version or should I look for a 6 lug version?

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi! welcome aboard!!
    If the axles are the same gear ratio as you have now, you can have the SF axleshaft re-drilled to 6 lug and use some 88+ 6 lug drums and not have to buy new wheels.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

3. johnnyringo

johnnyringo Newbie

If I have the axles redrilled, wouldn't they lose a lot of their strength? I understand that the bolt pattern is different so you're drilling in different areas but you'd then have 8 holes in the axles. Wouldn't that be a weak point?

"Ringo"

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I'm in the same situation as you, thinking about doing a 14 sf swapp, and asking questions... I would give biggray71 a PM. He's done this a few times. Maybe he will se this post and give us some more info.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

5. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

I just did this swap in mine. I used axle shafts from a newer truck that were already 6 lug. There are other issues that come into play if you do it the way I did. PM me for details if you want them.

If you choose to have yours filled and drilled it should be fine. AFAIK they weld up the 8 holes left after popping out the studs then re-drill them for whatever pattern you want

Scot in KC, MO.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/Scooter/side_right_2.jpg>Blue 87 GMC Jimmy</a>
    Red 86 Toyota 4Runner (for sale $2000 obo)

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I don't think there would be any strength loss when redrilling from 8-lug to the smaller 6-lug pattern. Since the 6-lug pattern is a smaller diameter there should really be no stresses transfered to the left over holes from the 8-lug pattern....plus the 8-lug holes could be filled in.