Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14" Travel front shock questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Liberator, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

14\" Travel front shock questions

I've done a search and couldn't find an answer to my question. I know I can put shocks with 14" of travel on the front but I'm wondering how much of that 14" is actually used. Anyone know off hand how much a 4" front spring will cycle without greatly hindering the steering? Any info would be a great help! Thanks.

2. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Re: 14\" Travel front shock questions

What vehicle?
    What steering setup?
    My truck has 12"shocks and it will fully cycle them with no problems at all.I used F250 shock towers to raise the shock mount,so I have 5"of upward travel and 7" downward.Watch your brake lines.I also run avalanche high steer-cross over steering.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Cycle your suspension. Get it at full droop, then max out the up travel and this will help ya get started.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I've done a search and couldn't find an answer to my question. I know I can put shocks with 14" of travel on the front but I'm wondering how much of that 14" is actually used. Anyone know off hand how much a 4" front spring will cycle without greatly hindering the steering? Any info would be a great help! Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

for mounting the front shocked, thats np... just use the ford shock towers upgrade... there is a writeup on this site. I mounted my 13.5" travel DT8000s with them. As far as how much of that 14" would be used... that would depend on your springs, steering setup, anti-sway bars, brake line length, bumpstops etc etc etc. If your steering setup is pretty much a factory setup, it cant handle much droop/compression at all... especially if you are talking about a suspension with 14" of travel.

j

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

What brake hose did you use for that? Just curious, the NAPA one that everyone says for the 4" lift is like 25" long. I think the stock one is only somewhere around 10"?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I forget the exact length of the brake lines I use... they are the braided stainless ProComp ones tho. Supposedly for 4-6" lifts.

j