Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

140 amp Caprice alt or 135 amp Buick alt ?? install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Aug 21, 2001.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I'm looking to put in a new alternator in the 82 because i can tell the existing one is completly wrong my future setup. I've heard of using a 140 amp alternator from a '93 Caprice or so, just getting the bracket and an electrical adaptor. Any part numbers out there ? what cars to get the bracket from at the junk yard ? Also, I heard an '85 Buick Electra Station wagon has a 120 or 135 amp alternator that will bolt straight in ? Is this hog wash or what ? I'm looking for something that i don't have to fab metal parts for and that i can get replaced easily at the local parts store if it fails. Get my drift ? thanks-any other donor vehicles ?
    Blake

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I just asked a pretty similar question! I found out tonight at my parts store while testing the new alts, the high-amp alt I have from a '92 Buick should work on my K5, but I'll have to splice the field and grounds from my old C connector into the weatherpack connector. The guys at the parts place said they wouldn't do it (they'd have the stock unit rebuilt for more amperage), but they don't see why it shouldn't work, and not to scream at them if something melts down...

I think as long as you get the field (really just the "on" switch)and ground wires correct, nothing should explode right away... Just be absolutely sure they can provide you with enough power from the get-go...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

3. StageZ

StageZ Registered Member

how much will you guys be paying for them? I got a 140 amp powermaster alt from 4wheelparts for $120... It was a bolt on(no messing with anything)... just off and on... and so far, I'm loving it.. If the price is close, you might wan't to drop a few more bucks for something that wont cause installing probs... but hell, if it's a damn good deal... enjoy...

4. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    What's the amperage on that 92 buick alternator and whats the model and engine size ? I can grab a weatherpack connector easy. The reason I'm looking for a factory unit is because i can get the right price-I get parts at cost from my friends parts store.
    Blake