Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

140 Ft lbs on a lug nut?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbone, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

I just finished installing new front shocks on one side of my 01 GMC 1500. I was about to start the other side when I decided what the hell, lets do this right and torque the lug nuts to spec instead of to the redneck grunt point. (I hate places that air hammer them on so tight you can hardly get them back off.) I was a bit suprised when I looked in the manual and it listed 140 Ft lbs. The biggest torque wrench I have is a 3/8 drive that goes to 100 Ft lbs. I tightened them that far before letting it down to do the other side. Once I get the other side done do I really need to find some one with a torque wrench that will do 140? That seems like a lot. :confused:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

thats what they call for on duallies.

i would say around 100, and you would be fine.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i do lug nuts all day at work. yes 140ish for big ones. and yours is 120 . good luck.:D

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Any 1/2" drive torque wrench goes that high. Harbor Freight has em for $20. 140 is the correct torque for 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM trucks 99 and up....at least according to Sears auto center specs.

Spec's around 300 ft.lbs. on semi trucks...

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

had a box truck at work once that called for 450 ft lb. nuts. we got like a 4ft snapon torque wrench for that kind of stuff.

6. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Holy Ft/Lb BATMAN :eek1: I would like to see a pic of that wrench, thats awsome.
    thanks,
    James

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Big nutz= Big torque!

My brother works on big rigs..they have 1" drive air impacts with 3:1 gearboxes on them,and long pipes for handles....capable of 1500+ ft lbs of torque!..they can lift a 200 lb guy right off the floor pretty easy!..:eek1: .they also have breaker bars with "torque multipliers" that are much the same thing,only hand powered..

Even with those,some lugs wont come loose without heating them cherry red..some snap off instead..glad its not me changing tires on Kenworths..:crazy:

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have sitting next to my tool box a Snap-on 3/4" drive 600 ft. lb. torque wrench, the king pins on a D60 torque between 500-600 ft. lbs.

9. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Even with huge wrenches and breaker bars, I think my skinny butt needs to start lifting weights again!!!!!!! :o Especially since I'm always on the hunt for that cheap Dana 60 :rolleyes:
    thanks,
    James