Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

140amp Transport Alternator wiring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

I got an Alternator for a 94 Pontiac transport yesterday and ordered a plug from Napa to wire this bad boy up. The Alternator that they actually gave me was for a 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate , same alternator from what I've seen so far. Anyway, Does anyone know what wires got to where once I remove my plug from the wiring harness? Colors? etc. I was running a 1 wire Powermaster , so I'm going back to the factory wiring harness to hook this back up. Thanks ahead.
    Jeremy.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I tried to do this upgrade but it failed...
    just do a search on posts by me.... I may have just got a bad alt as it was used... but people linked what colors and stuff...

3. Mudbug1979

Alternator

Did you not persue it any further? I was running a 140 1 wire Powermaster and when my 2nd one died I figured I'd try this.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

no I didnt... was easier for me to spend $20 for the stock alternator for now. Not like I am using this much power anyway.... yet...

I needed to fix my rear disc brakes... new pads and 1 rotor, alt, and clutch.. now all is fixed but clutch... next on my list once my dirtbike sells is a winch... so gonna need to re-visit this at a later date.....

I thought I had it...

red wire came from battery
    white wire went to ignition... had it in and all hooked up but wasnt charging... once I removed the battery lead the truck died....
    autozone tested the battery and all it said was PASSED...
    So I dont know....
    :crazy:

5. Mudbug1979

Alternator

Anyone else?

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Here is what I did....
    there is the three prong connector on the alternator and the stud on the back of it. I got a pigtail connector for the three prong connector. There was a thicker red wire, a black wire and a brown wire on it. I didn't do anything with the black wire. The red wire I just ran to the stud on the back of the alternator. The brown one I connected to another brown wire that goes into a wire loom. The brown wire used to be on the two prong connector on my old alternator. On the stud in the back I have the red wire coming from the pigtail connector, a wire going to my battery, and another wire going into the loom of wires I assume going into the computer. I don't know if this will help any, good luck with it, let me know if you have any questions.