Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

$141 for master cylinder & brake bleed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, May 16, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

My brakes just went out this morning going to school, they stop but only with the pedal all the way to the floor. So I called Less Scwab and they want $141. I need to know if it's difficult to do it myself. Does the MC just bolt on to the brake booster or is there some kind of linkage. If I bench bleed it should I beable to take it to Les Schwab just for the power brake bleed?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I haven't redone my master cylinder yet so I can't help you out there, but I can tell you that bleeding a brake system is easy. Just go to the autoparts store and get a 1 man bleeder kit and brake fluid. It is easiest with 2 people, but can be done alone.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

if ya bench bleed the master you should not have to bleed the system at all.
    a reman. MC will cost under $20 and take all of 5 mins to install.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Save $100 or more do it you self. Not hard at all.

5. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

$20 bucks for a reman master cylinder and about 2 hours of your time, get brake fluid,and a set of wrenches and you can do it , once you have the new master cylinder put it in a vise, Don't make the vise to tight you can warp the piston bore, it "should" come with two plastic plugs screw them into where the lines go on the new unit pour some brake fluid in the resivoir(sp) use a wooden dowel rod
    ,extension,small hammer handle and move the piston in short strokes about 1 inch until no more air bubbles come out, fill it as it is needed, It will take about 15-20 min,

the master cylinder is held on with 2 studs attached to the vaccum booster,loosen up the brake lines first to do take them off yet just make them finger tight, take off the 2 nuts and then the lines, Where the mater cylinder goes in to the booster there might besome rust,dirt,ect clean it out with some brake cleaner and wipe it out and put the mater cylinder back on the way it came off.

I would make sure it is the master cylinder first it "could" be a wheel cylinder

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Could be off my rocker here, but I don't believe you have to bench bleed the master cylinder.

Last master cylinder I put in, instructions didn't say anything about bench bleeding, and I didn't, and it works fine. Didn't bleed the lines either, since I had already done that and knew there was no air in the lines. As I understand it, if the master cylinder has air in it, the air will rise, and thats fine.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, you need to bench bleed the master cyclinder. This is because the normal stroke of the piston inside the MC is less than the actual stroke available - air will stay trapped there forever unless you bench bleed it and depress the plunger fully about 15-20 times until no air comes out.

When you clamp the MC in a vice, do NOT clamp the body itself. Clamp an ear of the mounting flange. That way you cannot warp the piston bore (bad juju.)

I recommend you buy an Autozone remanufactured MC for about $20 plus core charge. It will come with instructions and also will come with the plastic deals for bench bleeding. All you need in addition to that is a vice and a phillip head screwdriver to depress the plunger!
    -- Mike

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, you need to bench bleed the master cyclinder. This is because the normal stroke of the piston inside the MC is less than the actual stroke available - air will stay trapped there forever unless you bench bleed it and depress the plunger fully about 15-20 times until no air comes out.

When you clamp the MC in a vice, do NOT clamp the body itself. Clamp an ear of the mounting flange. That way you cannot warp the piston bore (bad juju.)

I recommend you buy an Autozone remanufactured MC for about $20 plus core charge. It will come with instructions and also will come with the plastic deals for bench bleeding. All you need in addition to that is a vice and a phillip head screwdriver to depress the plunger!
    -- Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

[yoda] To Mike you listen![/yoda]