Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1410 yoke or not?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Sep 9, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Should I go with a 1410 at the rear axle or not? I personally don't see the advantage when the CV will only be 1350. Wouldn't the cv be the weeklink in the shaft? Wouldn't using the 1410 pretty much insure that if you have driveline failure that it will be the cv joint, which would be a bigger PITA to change than a rear joint?

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

When I get custom driveshafts this winter during my doubler install, I plan on going 1350 everywhere. Couple reasons for this. First is having the week link accessible. 2nd reason is trail spares. If everything is the same u-joint, then I can just have 1 or 2 and be okay. Otherwise I'll need to carry severeal different sizes. BTW, I've got 38's presently, but plan on going 42 Iroks within the next year or so.

3. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

The 1410 Yokes are actually minutly stronger than a 1350CV or 1350 U Joint, the trunnion of the 1410 is the same O.D. as a 1350, the key difference is the cap to cap dimension which allows more angle without bind. I would recommend going with the 1410 Yoke.

-Kyle
    NWF.

4. BigCountryx

How would more angle capability help me in my situation? With a cv shaft, the piniion will be directly in line with the shaft, having virtually no angle at all.

5. BigCountryx

The only advantage I see is getting rid of the stock straps and going with u-bolt cap retainers.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

If you have mad flex sometimes the axle end joint can bind when flexed and applying power. Run what you got and if you have a bind issue then go to 1410 and just have the one yoke changed on the driveshaft.

Ira

7. BigCountryx

Think I'm sticking w/ BurbLover on this one, would be nice to only have one size joint for the entire drivetrain. Thanks

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

1410s with u-bolts is definitely better than 1350s with straps. I have 1410 in the front and will be going 1410 in the rear soon. I'll only carry a 1410 spare. I figure if a CV explodes, its time to pull the shaft and run in either front or rear wheel drive to get back to safety.

j

9. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I say go with the 1410 because size does matter and chicks dig big ends on shafts :haha:

truck 050.jpg

10. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I went 1410 on the rear shaft with the 1350 CV up top. I am going 1410 up front on the yoke as well. As has been said, more angle and no straps. I made this decision with help from Jesse at HAD. He knows a little bit about driveshafts.

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you grenade a CV, something's already hit the fan. Besides, if you have a 1350/1410 combo, there's only one extra joint you have to carry.