Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B DETROIT DURABILITY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87BrnRsd, Oct 18, 2003.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The title doesnt really describe the post. I have a question though. I have a brand new 14ff with a detroit in it. I put it in my truck today, and didnt know that one of the drums was stuck a little. I couldnt tell when driving it. I noticed that when I took my foot off of the gas, it made a grinding noise from the rear end. Only when I took my foot off the gas though. It sounded like metal on metal. The drum was only stuck a little so it was slowing the passenger side tire down a bit. I didnt have time to check the differential, but would that grinding sound be the detroit killing itself since one wheel was spinning slower than the other?? I really hope the axle is ok because i dont have the money for a new one. Let me know. Thanks.
    -Harrison
    (P.S.)It did have gear oil in it.)

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It sounds like carrier bearings. Typical symptom. Sorry.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

So what does this mean?
    -Harrison

4. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That you would need new carrier bearings, generally most people might go ahead and replace all the bearings and seals at this point. I guess what the best thing to do would be to pull the cover and check everything to see for sure. If you had to pay a shop to fix it, it is spendy. Not sure of the difficulty level as far as doing it yourself.

I had the same noises in my 12 bolt years ago and it was bad carrier bearings and pinion bearings.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

How could it be the carrier bearings if the axle is brand new and has never been used?
    -Harrison

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Pull off the rear cover,if you see a lot of metal shavings-bad newes. does the Detroit "click when you turn a corner?

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I opened it up and it looked like somebody emptied a pensil sharpener full of metal shavings on the magnet. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    -Harrison

8. mudjunkie 82

Time to disassemble.....

9. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I missed the brand new part of the post, where did you get it cause I think you should take it back. It doesn't sound very new, more like fresh paint on an old axle /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh, it was definitely new. Before I put it in my truck, I opened it up to take a look inside. There was no oil, and had never been oil in it, and the gears still had the factory yellow marking compound on them. Im going to see what the place I got it from says today. Only bad thing is, is that they are almost 300 miles away, and I dont have the time anymore to drive up there again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    -Harrison

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You got a phone, or hasn't it reached that area of the south yet? Just call them, I'm sure they'll do something to hook you up.

12. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That is really weird, when you first opened it up did you happen to check the carrier and ring gear for any play? I can't imagine what would make a new 14 bolt fail so quickly. The military used them with detroits in there so my thinking is that this combo is very tough and durable.

13. mudjunkie 82

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, it was definitely new. Before I put it in my truck, I opened it up to take a look inside. There was no oil, and had never been oil in it, and the gears still had the factory yellow marking compound on them. Im going to see what the place I got it from says today. Only bad thing is, is that they are almost 300 miles away, and I dont have the time anymore to drive up there again. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    -Harrison

[/ QUOTE ] Are you sure it is a Detroit locker and not a "Gov-loc??

14. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where did you get it from and were you supposed to put oil in it?? Not trying to be a smartass just asking. Most stuff doesn't come with much fluid in it. Hope ya the best though cause that would suck.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

To answer all of yall's questions,
    1. Im 100% sure it is a detroit and not a gov-lock
    2. I filled it to the top with gear oil
    And 3. I called them today, and they said they will not give me a new axle, fix it, pay for shipping to get one there or back, or pay for labor if I get it fixed here. All they want to do is pay for parts, whenever I find out what is wrong with it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    NEVER BUY FROM CLARK TRUCK PARTS!!!!!!!!!!!
    -Harrison

16. mudjunkie 82

That is Bullsh!t.I would call them back tomorrow and Tell them if they do not make it right you will hire a lawyer and File suite in small claims court! They might change their tune....

17. mudjunkie 82

How do the teeth look on the gears? Any "bluing anyware?

18. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The ring gear has been worn down on the outside edge a little, and is shiny like new metal. I am going to call them tomorrow, and tell them if they dont make it right, I will first call the better business bureau, then that I have a friend who is a lawyer and will do what is necessary. I love having a lwayer friend.
    -Harrison

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention that I'm only 16 and dont have any money to get the truck towed to the dealership, let alone the labor to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Looks like I will be truckless for a while.
    -Harrison

20. mudjunkie 82

Sounds like the gear lash was not set up properly,Good luck with this............Mud