Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B / Detroit locker question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big pappa b, Jan 6, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

When I turn the yoke on the 14B it would go 1/2" - 3/4" before it felt like it was making any contact or would turn the wheels. I pulled the cover and turned it and the pinion gear is in constant contact with the ring gear but it's the axles that don't seem to come under pressure or contact (however you want to say it) for that 1/2 - 3/4".
    Question is: are all detroit lockers like this or could there be a different problem?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep! That's the way they work. If you want to find out the details, click on the link in my sig and then click on the Technical link at the left side of the page. There you'll find an excellent (and painfully detailed) explanation of how lockers work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. big pappa b

Cool deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Very helpful info there Harry
    That takes a load of worry off my mind

Thanks

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just wait until you drive it and get the first 'locker bang' out of that Detroit. It feels and sounds like you just scattered your transmission.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

5. big pappa b

I heard "TheBigdaddyof2's" truck this summer and it was kind of loud? Do welded spiders make it worse?

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ha Ha!!! Yep. The first time you hear (and FEEL!) that bang, you're looking in the rear view mirror for parts scattered in the road! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

As many times as I've heard of the " Detroit Bang" when it happened to me I just couldn't keep driving with a clear conscience. I had to stop at the next gas station and look underneath, fully expecting to see synchros and gears and 80-90 everywhere. I even looked around first to see if anybody was watching cause I felt like a wuss looking under there knowing full well I wouldn't see anything. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I'll back up the Detroit Locker " BANG " ! I just about piled in my pants the first time that I heard / felt it in my truck . I pushed the clutch in and coasted off the road to look for broken parts , but all was well . Man that is the loudest bang that you can hear from your truck without anything being wrong .