Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B disk swap/I'm P!ssed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, May 13, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I installed my 14b about 750 miles ago totally rebuilt along with Disc brakes. Last night on the way back from a ride I heard what sounded like a rock rubbing on the disc. What I heard was the wear indicator of the pads, the pads are totally gone, grooves being cut on the inboard side of both discs, pads on both sides of both discs are gone. Everything I used was new, nothing rebuilt. WTF over?

2. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

that blos

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

prolly just cheap pads... ive had that happen to me before...

4. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wonder if the pads came unglued ??

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

But in that amount of miles? I can not believe even the cheapest of cheap pads could not survive for 750 miles.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Think about it for a sec...is quality control on the cheap pads company gonna look as hard...? so questionable pads may get through. LAtough most brand x pads last a good while some of there questionable ones may make it through...you may have just gotten a few bad pads.

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How's your brake equalization?

Did you change your P-valve?

8. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

It seems fine to me, I was sort of amazed at that. I used to race, so I am very familiar with proper proportioning. I do admit it is difficult to truly judge how a a big truck is doing compared to a 944, but I feel the brakes are dialed in correctly, if anything I was going to give the rear a bit more just due to my driving style. But I think maybe after I replace the brakes I will do the opposite to see how it feels, maybe I need to relearn how to drive, was having trouble drifting in the corners with the Burb:D .

9. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

This I do not know, what exactly would I be looking for?

10. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

no. our trucks are not equipped with one.

11. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

And actually I would say a week after the the axle swap, I had jacked the entire rear of the truck up, to check for anything unusual/verify the ARB was actually working, etc. There was absolutely no brake binding/dragging what so ever.

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I thought it was established that by looking through parts blowups that none of our trucks ever came equipped with em....hmm...

13. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I have read a lot of the old posts. Even if there is a residual pressure valve, I can not believe it would wear my pads down this fast and start cutting grooves into the rotors. Sand/mud getting caught up in there? My work fan suffers from this also, but it is a design flaw that the dealer is aware of, the rotors stick way out in the open. Others on here have to have done the disc swap and drive out in the mud like myself. Am I the only one that has had this problem? Rally need some ideas on what the cause of this is.

14. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Its got to be the pads fault. I can't see how anything else could cause that to happen.

15. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Thats pretty much my conclusion on this matter also, I will replace what is needed and inspect what is happening every time I go out. Sloppy gravel roads and trails is all I drive on. I bought the calipers fully loaded, so I am sure they probably had el cheapo pads on them. I will get something better tomorrow and see what happens.

16. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

did you grease the pins enough? if you go through deep water/mud that will gum them up too. once they are sticky the caliper can't move and the inside pad gets wasted in a hurry. if the inside pads are shot and not the outside pad this is the first thing i would think of.

17. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Both inner and outer are gone, both sides, very even wear.

18. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Same deal here, although, not as severe as what you have there. Mine have worn down pretty quickly, kinda suprised me too, i was able to get several months out of them, but they still worn down MUCH quicker than the fronts.

I am leaning towards the idea of the proportioning valve being the problem, probably need an adjustable one, or one designed for disk brakes.

What i mean is that the P-valve is letting more pressure go to the rears than the front, not enough to really make it noticeable, or lock up real easy, but more than normally should,,,,,,i am glad i bought lifetime warranty pads :D

When you get the new pads, bend that wear indicator in slightly further, so you have alittle more advanced warning.

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

In your case, if all you have is teh stock prop valve, you DO need a new one. ALl you need is one inline on the rear brake line and dialing power down from them. The stock prop valve does nothing at all for the rear brakes, it is a 100% front brake thing.

20. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Both very good ideas which I will do, I do have a stock prop valve in place, I like the idea of mounting a after market one inside of the cab so I can adjust it on the fly.