Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b drw hubs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by carolina custom, Feb 13, 2003.

1. carolina custom

carolina custom 1/2 ton status

I have been searching for a C&C drw 14bolt for my flatfender. I need the 63.5" wms-wms to match a 4" narowed D60 front. I have been told I can swap on the c&c hubs or hubs of a 14b drw truck on to my SRW truck 14b.

Anyone know, or have done it?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

See my post in the question about the van axle. I "think" it can be done, but youll need the backing plates too.

Has anyone else noticed the # of 14b questions that have been going around lately?

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Where's billavista? We need a 14b bible! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can also take the DRW hubs off a GM cutaway van. I know its usually a Dana 60 or 70 under there, but its the same hubs. A word of warning, DRW hubs on an SRW housing leaves you without any kind of factory brakes. Gotta go custom or home-brew, so you might as well disc it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. carolina custom

I did not think about the brakes. Sounds like I will probably have to make my own brackets if I do disks. Will drums work with If I just match the backing plates with the hubs?

Marc

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

No... DRW and SRW backing plates are the same. The difference between the SRW and DRW housing is where the flange for the backing plates sits. Its about 6" further inboard on the DRW, and drums are are almost cone shaped.

You can see here how much (little) clearance there is between the spring perch and backing plates on this 14FF DRW:
    [​IMG]

7. Pure Insanity

HMMM I could swear the backing plates were sunk in. Must have been an optical dillusion. That or Im misremembering. LOL!

OK then so whats the take here, are the shafts the same at least. And what about the van axles. Like I said before I have no 1st hand knowledge. Just the DRW axle that was under dads truck. And the guy that told me about the vans, I have NEVER caught haveing bad info. (I made the desicion on the DRW axle. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I really need to make some sort of table to tabulate all this info. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

1-ton DRW and SRW backing plates are the same.

Axle shafts between the SRW and C&amp;C (DRW) are the same.

Drums, backing plates, &amp; hubs between a (GM) Dana 60/70 DRW and a 14FF DRW (C&amp;C or pickup) are the same.

Drums, backing plates, &amp; hubs between a 14FF SRW van and a 14FF SRW pickup are the same.

Axle shafts between a Dana 60/70 DRW on a cutaway van are the same as the shafts on a Dana 70 DRW on a pickup.

Axle shafts between a 14FF SRW from a van are *NOT* the same as the shafts on a 14FF SRW from a pickup.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

These two aren't the exact same year, but the first is a DRW 14FF from a C&amp;C. The second is an SRW 14FF. Notice the longer hub barrel and "cone shaped" drum on the DRW.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

have you considered a dana 60 rear? i only mention it because the early ford 60's were 63.5" WMS to WMS, at least mine is.

[​IMG]

11. Pure Insanity

OK Now that I see 2 side by side I was definately wrong about most parts being interchangeable w/ the SRW and DRW.

What about the vans?

A table of what IS interchangeable would be cool.

What is that top axle w/ all the ribs on it? If thats a DRW 14 maybe someone hacked in a SRW axle into my dads truck before he got it, I dont recall his having the ribs. No, that cant be since the rear wheels wouldnt go over the drums correct? Ill have to get a look at the axle when the guy brings it in for service. (dad sold it, but we still work on it at the shop)

12. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

to throw another stick in the fire, there is a difference in drum size, dont forget about that. i have a DRW in my 76 ton truck, it does not have a "coned" look the 13" drums have. if you need a pic, i could probably tear the tires off and snap one.

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I show the following 13" DRW drums to be interchangeable:
    74 to 99 CK/RV series
    73-99 G series
    74-to-at-least-93 P series

...and the following DRW hubs (for drums)
    73-00 CK/RV series
    73-01 G series
    73-to-at-least-93 P series
    (later hubs have metric studs)

This info is from the Hollander Interchange manuals. I have a very difficult time shooting holes in their info. Its not perfect though.

Pics are good! I'm accumulating quite a stash of truck part pics /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. IronMan

IronMan 1/2 ton status

I know this will probably sound stupid... but i want to ask you guys to clarify this. I have a 83' 1 ton SRW 4x4. I also have a Dana 70 HD out of a 80's 1 ton DRW. Could i use the 70 without cutting it down? Would i have to use different backing plates and switch to disks? I know you guys have gone over this, but i would appreciate the help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Thanks in advance

15. carolina custom

So what do I have to do to change my SRW truck 14b to C&amp;C?

It sounds like I need DRW hubs and drums, and need to relocate the backing plate flange on the housing.

What if I want disks? Mabby just DRW hubs and relocate backing plate flange. Then use any disk drake kit? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

This is getting good,

Marc

16. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I have a 83' 1 ton SRW 4x4. I also have a Dana 70 HD out of a 80's 1 ton DRW. Could i use the 70 without cutting it down? Would i have to use different backing plates and switch to disks?

[/ QUOTE ]

The D70 housing is wider, than an SRW by about 8-10". Stock SRW and DRW backing plates are the same... where they attach to the housing is different. There may be disc kits out there for DRW trucks - would be the exact same kit for a D70 DRW or a 14FF DRW.

So what do I have to do to change my SRW truck 14b to C&amp;C? It sounds like I need DRW hubs and drums, and need to relocate the backing plate flange on the housing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The wrecking yard I worked at had a jig to re-position the backing-plate flange to convert SRW's to C&amp;C DRW's. Re-use the SRW backing plate, and add drums/hubs from a DRW.

What if I want disks? Mabby just DRW hubs and relocate backing plate flange. Then use any disk drake kit?

[/ QUOTE ]

That will work. Probably less work to weld your brackets to the housing though. You would have to measure the exact difference betweem the SRW and DRW hub, and space your bracket accordingly. A good chance to eliminate the spacer that most kits come with. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. carolina custom

I think I got it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Thanks,

Marc