Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B FF and 15 inch rims ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 77 Mud Buddy, May 7, 2003.

1. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

My 12 bolt recently blew up so I now have a 14 bolt FF to install. The tires I was running on my 12 bolt have 15" rock crawler rims. I know I need either new 8 lug rims or buys some 6 lug - 8 lug adaptor / spacers. I perfer the buying new rims but have a few questions.

I understand that 15" rims will fit over the large 14B FF drums. Is this true, do I need to worry about back spacing on a 15 inch rim on a 14 bolt FF.

With that said, I talked to the "evil" 4WP guys and they mentioned they could have rock crawlers made to any spec. So now that I can pick my back spacing I was thinking about trying to use this back spacing to make up for the 2" of difference in the front and rear axle. With my front 6 lug wheels having a 3.75 inch back spacing I figure my rear tires will need a 2.75 inch back spacing to make up the 2 inch difference and that might also help out with any 15" rim / 14B FF problems.

Am I on the right track? .... any thoughts or comments?

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I have 3" bs wheels and they fit on my old 14B with the big drums -- no problem. As for correcting the width difference with backspacing, the only problem I can think of is you won't be able to rotate your tires w/o dismounting them.

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Leave the width difference alone. Anything you do will take away from strength or ability.

4. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Ya, i got 15" rims on my 14BFF with the 13" drums. Oh, and pretty much no backspacing but the 14BFFs massive bearings should hold up to the extra stress. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

personally i dont really like the idea of having different rims front and rear... what size is your spare then? what if (for some wierd reason) you have to swap front to rear? gonna get the tires remounted and everything? bah. I run perf wheel aluminum spacers (1.5") in the back of my Jimmy and they have worked great for me.

j

6. 77 Mud Buddy

I think I like the idea of just getting an adaptor / spacers for the rear. that way I can keep my current 6 lug wheels and be able to rotate them and or replace one with another no problem.

7. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

i run a 15 with 4 1/4 inch back spacing. that width will make your front axle the same length as your rear axle (in appearance). the front axle on a blazer was designed longer than the rear. so with the 14 bolt and rims i specified your rig will look better imo. it will also be a tad bit more stable.

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i run a 15 with 4 1/4 inch back spacing. that width will make your front axle the same length as your rear axle (in appearance). the front axle on a blazer was designed longer than the rear. so with the 14 bolt and rims i specified your rig will look better imo. it will also be a tad bit more stable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it will be worse with 4.25" backspacing as opposed to 3" backspacing. The larger backspacing puts the wheel deeper into the well.

With that said, I run 15" wheels currently on my 14b FF with 4.25" backspacing and have no issues at all.

9. Waxer

It looks like a couple of our newer members don't fully understand what backspacing is, so hopefully this will help you guys out.

This is a cross section of a rim.

[​IMG]

10. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

well my point was... with the stock wheels up front (the 6 lug pattern) the 4.25 backspacing will make the rear axle look the same width as the front. i am 100% on that because i did it. when i did my 8 lug conversion i also went 4.25 up front therefore making my front end once again wider than the rear. if he does not want to do the 8 lug conversion i was simply giving him an alternate idea.

11. 77 Mud Buddy

I am streaching it to be spending the money on the 14 bolt, gears, and rims or spacers much less converting the front to 8 lug. It's all about pros and cons / money available. After reasearching a little more I think my best / cheapest option is to buy a couple 8 lug 15x10 rims.

12. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Ok, we've established that 15" wheels will fit over a 14 bolt FF. I'm assuming its the same for a SF? Will 15" wheels fit on a 3/4 ton 10 bolt front? The reason I ask is I will be getting a 91 3/4 ton Burban soon and I have a set of 33x12.50R15 BFG's that I originally got for my current 1/2 ton Burban and I want to keep them and use em on the new one. So, will 15" rims fit on a 8 lug 10 bolt? Where is the cheapest place to get some 8 lug 15x8(or 10) steel wheels? Thx

13. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I've had 15" wheels w/ 3" of backspacing on both an 8 lug 10b and D44, had to grind the calipers and supports a bit but not too bad.

14. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Here is my take on this.

If you want the front to match the rear then I would just buy the 8-6 lug conversion spacer. I will set the rears out wider to closer match the front axle. This way you keep your current rims and don't have to carry 2 spare tires.

If you leave them mismatched with 8 in the rear and 6 in the front then you will have to buy 3 15" 8 lug rims, and also another tire to put on it so you have a spare. Requires 2 spare tires. 1 for each axle.

Converting to 8 lug is the most expensive of all. It is also the strongest method though. Requires all new rims and all the parts necessary to convert the front axle. You also must grind the calipers and backing plates to fit under the 15" rims also.

The 8-6 lug adapter is by far the easiest and matches your wants the best.

15. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, we've established that 15" wheels will fit over a 14 bolt FF. I'm assuming its the same for a SF?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, though really recent 3/4t burbs (like 2001-up I think...) come with a new rear axle that comes stock with pretty big disc brakes... so 15" rims may not fit on those... <shrugs> i dunno

[ QUOTE ]
    Will 15" wheels fit on a 3/4 ton 10 bolt front?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeppers... i have 15" rims on my D60... oughta be able to get them on a 10 bolt np.

[ QUOTE ]
    Where is the cheapest place to get some 8 lug 15x8(or 10) steel wheels?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine (US wheel series 75... chrome wagons) from summit... 15x8, 4.25" of bs. You can get the white wagon wheels from them (series 70?) for about $27 a wheel... and shipping via summit is hella cheap, you just pay a handling fee of like $7 and thats it.

j

16. Waxer

Jek,

The price "used" to be bout $27 a wheel, now its more like $37.

I had the honor of looking them up a few days ago for a friend.

17. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

White Wagon's threw Discount are $32 each. I just bought a set about a month ago. I think shipping was like $4 each or something. (only had to ship 1).

18. jekbrown

19. 77 Mud Buddy

[ QUOTE ]

If you want the front to match the rear then I would just buy the 8-6 lug conversion spacer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The conversion requires you to machine the drums to fit the addapters. I havent priced that yet but I hear it is about $50.

I just want my rig up asap and think buying 15x10 8 lugs is the cheapest / quickest route. otherwise I have to pay about $200 for the adapters + $50 for machining and a weeks time.

If I just pick up some rims it will only be about $80 + 2 tires swapped and possibly a couple days shipping and I'm on the road.

as for needing a 3rd rim... My axle came with 2 16X? 8 on 6.5 so those could work for spares.

I wish I had the time and money to do every thing right but that isnt the case.

Thanks for all the input though!

20. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

just a thought...will a 15"rim fit over the 8 lug front caliper when you change the front over, and if you get a 14SF rear axle the 8-6 lug conversion spacer just bolt on with no machining of the hubs...