Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B FF Disc brake conversion Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudbug1979, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Mudbug1979

Mudbug1979 1/2 ton status

Who all has done this and has a problem with it feeling like only the front brakes are working? Do I need a porpotioning valve or a new Master Cylinder to help them out. I just put them on and I'm not that impressed. What do I need to do? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

bleed bleed and more bleed. It took forever and a day to bleed mine. Eventually gave up and they got better until finally I cracked the bleeders again and the last little bit of air came out and that was that. I think the reason it takes so long to bleed them is the master cylinder doesn't push the volume that the calipers should have. Drums require less volume due to the size of the wheel cylinder versus the caliper. Now when I stomp on mine on gravel the rears will lock up. Done this to 4 trucks now and haven't needed a proportioning valve or anything yet. My best friends truck we got it working in about an hour so I don't know why that one was so much faster. Most people have good luck gravity bleeding them overnight.

3. Mudbug1979

I believe that I figured it out. We use a pnuematic bleeder at our shop and I'm sure I got all of the air out. I put them on upside down. The bleeder is pointing down therefore the resevoir can't fill up. It's been a long long long day, geeeeesh. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Don't feel bad. Your not the first to have done that.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Mudbug1979

OK, I flipped them over this morning and bled the crap out them ( not literally) . Still doesn't feel like they are up to their full potential. I would think that I would be able to lock them up on gravel. It still feels like the front brakes are doing all the work. Do they just need to break in a little bit more or what do I need to do? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Mudbug1979

Anything, Anyone? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif