Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B FF drum locks up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77ChevyK10, Mar 15, 2004.

1. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

My 14B FF passenger side drum locks up when I go forward but not back. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I am not on the brakes at all. It just started happening yesterday. I need it to drive to school tomorrow. Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

the shoes are probably soaked in brake fluid or gear oil. you can back off the adjuster on that side a little to drive it till you can tear it apart and replace which ever seal is probably leaking. also make sure the e brake cable isnt hanging the shoe up.

3. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I will second that.

If it locks up when you put on the brakes then is gear oil getting to the shoes. If it locks up when you are trying to move forward, then it is something mechanical that needs to be adjusted, which means you ahve to tear it all a part. Have fun. My back still hurts from the last time I did the brakes on my 14FF. That was over a year ago. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. 77ChevyK10

[ QUOTE ]
    also make sure the e brake cable isnt hanging the shoe up.

[/ QUOTE ] i do not have an e brake cable on that side.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i would pull that drum and look at shoes and see, youll find the cause in there im sure, just like already said, most likely is brake fluid or gear oil leaking into shoes area, such fluids cause shoe lining materials to grab hard

good luck

6. 77ChevyK10

it's gear oil

Thanks for all the info

Andrew