Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b FF gear change question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by marine_enlisted, Apr 25, 2004.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

I am putting 4.56 gears and a detroit in my 14b FF. I would like to know how you guys get the 350 ftlbs on the crush sleeve and how you held the pinion.
    My plan is to put the pinion assmbly in soft jaw vise, have a buddy hold the yoke with my 18" crescent wrench while hit the nut with my 1/2" impact a little at a time until the preload is set. ( I'll probably order a couple extra crush sleeves just in case)
    How do you guys do this.
    I have done this stuff on big ass New Holland,Ford,and Steiger 4WD tractors with the dealerships special tools, but never done a 14 bolt.

2. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

never done it myself but a lot of guys say they set em up in a press. otherwise you'd have to affix the yoke to a solid table and use a 4' breaker bar to get it started.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would think that putting the yoke itself in a vice and using a long breaker bar with a cheater pipe would be a good start.

From what I understand even the best 1/2" impact gun may struggle with that crush sleeve. I'd give it a try and see what happens though, would probably be much easier with the gun rather than a breaker bar.

4. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

I know a lot of guys use an impact but I'd rather not take a risk on damaging the bearings. this job is too much a PITA to do twice.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status