Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B FF Hubs -- 2 different sizes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, May 28, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

During my rear disc conversion, I noticed something odd....

One of my hubs is smaller than the other...?

When I got the 14B FF axle, the brakes on it were, what I believe, to be the one ton brakes. I had to replace a hub due to a sealing issue, and I'm wondering if one of my hubs could be 3/4 Ton, and the other 1 Ton?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I think this may be causing a vibration I have been trying to track down.

Here are <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/stoopalini/lst?.dir=/Hub+Diff&amp;.view=t>some pics of the different hubs</a>. Look at where the hub overlaps the rotor, and you will see what I mean. The Driver's side hub is smaller.

Thanks for any help .....

Thomas.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thomas, you have a mixture of the first design and second design bearing hubs. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

The first pic is the second design and the third pic is the first design.

Nothing to worry about. They are basically the same thing, but just different amount of metal on the areas around the lug studs that press in. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Thanks for clearing that up for me Wes /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

So both style hubs will take the same bearings, right? I hope so, because I replaced them with identicle parts on both sides ....

I was wondering if it was a year difference. Any idea what year they switched from the 1st design to the second? Just curious at this point ......

Thomas.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Both hubs can use the same parts for the other.

The first design goes up to '76 and the second goes from '77 to '91. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif