Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b, FF or SF?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Jul 18, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

heya all,

plz mind me for this question, but i have a 10 bolt rear and thinking of upgrading to 14b coz i'll get bigger tires, so whats the difference between full float and semi float, i always see u talkin about'em but i really wanna know whats the diff. ??? thanx /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

14ff is a full floating axle no c-clips a 14sf is a semi floating axle that uses c clips to hold the axles in oh and you can get a 14sf in six lug

3. cannibal

so does that mean that the 14b sf are better coz they have clips to hold them, and yeah i prefer the 6 lugs coz i don't wanna change my rims!?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. cannibal

[ QUOTE ]
    14ff is a full floating axle no c-clips a 14sf is a semi floating axle that uses c clips to hold the axles in oh and you can get a 14sf in six lug

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, but does the c clips do, does that mean the sf are better, and i do prefer 6 lugs coz i dont wanna change my rims!?!?!?

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

a 14 ff is way stronger than a 14sf but a 14sf is way stronger than your 10bolts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

It is fact that the stock 14 Bolt FF is good up to 44" tires. 10 bolts are only really good up to 35" tires although I have seen 10 bolts break with 35's. I'm not sure exactly where the 14 B SF comes in but I've heard that the axles are only a little bit bigger than the 10 bolt axles. I am guessing here but the 14B SF is probably good to 37" tires. One bonus with the 14 B SF is with the 9.5" ring gear the pumpkin has better ground clearance than the 14 B FF with it's 10.5" ring gear. If you want bullet proof go with the FF, if your only going to max 37's and you want good ground clearance go with the SF