Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B FF Rear Disc w/ Caddi Caliper's (One more question on pads)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, May 26, 2002.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

14B FF Rear Disc w/ Caddi Caliper\'s (One more question on pads)

Well, I have the brackets (Thanks Derbinator!), the rotors, and I just ordered the caddi calipers; and have a question I'm hoping someone can answer:

When mounting Derbinator's brackets, which direction should the brackets be angled at to account for the bleeder valves on the Caddi calipers?

I know the 10 bolt calipers have the brackets angled out to the rear (thanks to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/gettin_deep/disc.html>Waxer's Info</a>), but do the Caddi calipers have the bleeder in the same location?

Thomas.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: 14B FF Rear Disc w/ Caddi Caliper\'s (quick question on calipers)

If you want to make it easy to bleed the brakes, install the brackets parallel with the ground, at the rear of the axle. If you want to have better ground clearance, install the brackets 45 degrees up, at the rear of the axle. If you use the second method, you have to unbolt the caliper to bleed the brakes, so that you can get the bleeder at the top of the cylinder. Otherwise you can't get the air bubbles out.

3. Stoopalini

Thanks Harry, I appreciate the info.

Any idea on how I can adapt the stock 14B brake lines to the Caddi calipers? I tried purchasing the caddi brake hoses, but cannot seem to locate them. Do the stock 10 bolt front lines work on the caddi caliper? If so, I suppose the banjo bolt would be all I need, right?

Thanks again,

Thomas.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

TSM sells the brake lines you need in different lengths. I think they are like $50.00 a set.

5. Stoopalini

Thanks Scott, I checked out their <a target="_blank" href=http://tsmmfg.com/Brake%20Accessories.htm>Accessory Page</a>, but don't know the sizes of the stock T fitting, or the banjo on the caddi caliper.

Does anyone know this info?

6. HarryH3

7. Stoopalini

Thanks again Harry; great info as usual /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

So I can use Wagner p/n# F-97661 to connect the calipers to the brake lines, but what brake lines did you use? I really like the idea of using the '91 Baretta brackets, and think I will do the same; but what brake line did you use to go from the T in the center of the axle, out to the bracket?

Thanks again for all the info, what would I do without CK5 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW: Here's a link to my progress thus far: <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/stoopalini/lst?.dir=/Friends/Disc+Conversion&amp;.src=ph&amp;.order=&amp;.view=t&amp;.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/>Disc Conv Pics</a>

Thomas.

8. HarryH3

I just used the stock hard line to run from the center out to the brackets. I bought new pieces and routed them across the axle tube. Then I cut them to the right length and double-flared the ends. You'll need a tool that can do the double-flared ends on the tubing. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Stoopalini

Ahhh, that makes sense.

So the fitting on the end of the stock line will thread into the Wagner hose end? If so, I suppose you used the Baretta bracket just to secure the lines to the axle. Does this sound right?

Looks like I'll have a new flaring tool for the 'ole garage soon /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. HarryH3

Yep, you've got it! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif You'll just need the little spring clips that hold the end of the flex hose to the bracket. Then you can screw the hard line right into the fitting on the hose. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Be sure that you get a DOUBLE flare tool. A single flare on brake lines can split and leak. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

11. Stoopalini

Cool /forums/images/icons/cool.gif. Napa doesn't stock the Wagner part, but he crossed it to a Napa True Stop p/n# 4138421. So they should be here tomorrow, or friday.

One final question is what pads do I use? I assume I should be using the caddi pads, but just wanted to double check before I go and grab them.

Thanks again for all your help, it's almost done! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thomas.

12. HarryH3

Yeah, NAPA has their own part numbers for everything. But just about any store can cross-reference the Wagner part number. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The Caddy pads should work fine. Just look closely at the back of them, to make sure that the inner pads have a little nub of steel sticking out. If you look at the face of the piston in the caliper, it has a small, sorta horseshoe shaped depression in it. It should be up near the outer edge of the caliper when it's installed properly. Then the small nub on the back of the brake pad fits into that recess. It prevents the piston from rotating when the parking brake is set.

13. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Any idea on how I can adapt the stock 14B brake lines to the Caddi calipers? I tried purchasing the caddi brake hoses, but cannot seem to locate them.

<hr></blockquote>

The Caddy calipers are hard-plumbed, there is an adapter that is held on the caliper w/a banjo bolt, and the hard line threads directly into it. The threads are the same as the 14 FF OE brake lines (where they would screw into the drum brake cylinder). However, a short flex line is preferable.

Pete

14. HarryH3

The Wagner part number I gave him is for a short flex hose that fits perfectly. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I was just letting him know why he couldn't find one for a Caddy listing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Pete

16. HarryH3

Ah, now I get it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif