Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b FF spring perches???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, May 2, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Getting a 14bolt this weekend, 4,56 gears, it's out of an 80 3/4 ton (I think). Will I need to move the spring perches or will it bolt right in?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If its going under your 89, and its indeed a 3/4ton 14FF, then no, you don't need to move the perches.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

x2 bolt in, as long as its a 3/4 ton:D

4. firefighter184

If it's a 1-ton, will they need to be moved? I have a welder, so I'm not too terribly concerned, but I'm hoping to bang this thing in quick.

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes, if its a 1ton, they will need to be moved

6. firefighter184

Just talked to the guy, it's a 1-ton, with a gov-lock, out of an 80 single rear wheel truck.

7. firefighter184

So now I need some tech advice on what I need to do (tool and technique-wise) to move these perches. How do I get 'em off? I assume welding them back on will be pretty straight forward, but how do I get 'em off?

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will also need to cut the shock mounts off as well. They are opposite of 1/2 and 3/4 ton mounts and also mount crooked instead of straight. As for the spring perches, if they're full cast i doubt you'll be rewelding them back on unless you spend hours cutting them off nicely with a small cut off wheel of some sort. I would just make a nice new set of steel perches out of some 2.5" square tubing and then you can also build a certain amount of lift into the perches if you like.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Depends on if you want to reuse the originals or get another set to weld on/build another set to weld on. If your going to get/build a new set of perches, take them off any way you want. If your going to try to reuse them, use a cut-off wheel and cut them off at the axle tube as close as you can. Or if you have access to a plasma cutter, your golden :thumb:

10. steve_kibbe

If the are the stamped type, I wouldn't re-use them. My 14b in my 3/4 has what look like cast mounts, very beefy.

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yeah, when I swapped my 14FF under my burb, I made new ones out of solid 2.5" bar stock :eek1: nothing like having solid steel for spring perches :D

12. steve_kibbe

I like these clarkjw24 made.

johnboyperches.jpg

13. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The stamped ones on my 1 ton axle were more than a 1/4" thick everywhere I cut them off and reused them they were really beefy. Cutting them off is a pain though. I think the best way to weld them back on is to put them on the axle and then jack the axle up to the leaf spring use a hammer to move them side to side get all the weight on the springs and use a hammer to set the pinion angle tack weld remove and finish weld

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Both time I did the swap I cut them off and reused them. Both sets were stamped and I had no issues. I used a grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the welds pretty good and then smacked them with a BFH to get them off. If you are using a 1980 rear I think they will be cast mounts which you can do the same thing with. I used shock mounts from a junked 10 bolt the first time and fabbed my own the second time. I put the axle under and set the pinion angle and centered it up where Iit need to be and tacked the mounts in place. Put everything together and made sure it was right and took a test run. Once I was happy I welded the mounts up.

15. steve_kibbe

Here's the stamped ones I was refering to.

perch 2.JPG

16. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I ordered the spring perches and shock mounts from DIY4x. Cuttiing the old perches off is the hardest part.

John

17. firefighter184

Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking I may be a little over my head here. Gonna have to find somebody who knows what the hell they're doing. Pretty sure the Colorado Crew should have somebody qualified. Where's Harley?:D

18. firefighter184

I just checked out DIY's perches, look good and stout to me. One question, I do have a driveline vibe after installing my 4inch springs, so I'll probably change my pinion angle while I'm at it. This should take care of the vibe :confused: right?

19. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

thats what happend to my purches i got from summit, wrecked my driveshaft and yoke, so i made some out of 1/4 inch thick 2.5" box tubing

the best way ive found to cut the old cast perches off was to cut around all the welds then beat them with a sledge hammer then grind the tube smooth, took a few minuets each side