Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B pinion bearing housing- does the design leak?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FWP, Jul 25, 2002.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Hey guys, just finished setting up my 14BFF gears, new bearings etc. I notice the area between the pumpkin and the pinion housing has no way of really sealing, other than the crush factor of the shims. What's up with that? Or am I missing something? Does it leak the way it's designed? I would think an O'ring at the inner part of the pinion housing flange would have been a good idea, but the factory manual doesn't show any kind of seal there at all /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There is definitely a seal in that area. I know because I had to buy a new one (and a new crush sleeve) when I installed my new 1410 yoke on my 14BFF.

I can't give you the specifics, but Scott (4x4HIGH) could...since he's the one that did mine for me. And by the way, it's dry as a bone....no leaks at all in that area.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Fred, YES, they do leak and YES, the factory and books do not list any way of sealing them. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I have found a method to seal this area and do this on all the rebuilds I do with the 14FF.....get some spray type gasket maker or sealer and spray both sides of the shim.

My favorite spray is the copper spray because it's the high temperature stuff and withstands the high temps the rears can produce.

I just set up the gears and backlash like normal and once everything is to spec, I remove the pinion support to take the shim back off and hang it somewhere on a wire to spray both sides with the copper sealant spray.
    Once its tacky to the touch, I put it back on and torque the bolts back to spec.

No leaks anymore. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Makes good sense, will do it. Thanks Wes /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Thanks Greg /forums/images/icons/smile.gif , you must be thinking of the pinion shaft seal. It's the bolt on flange to the pumpkin I was refering to. Thanks though!