Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b pinion seal replacement...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Can this safely be done with out replacing the crush sleeve? To me, it makes sense that you could if you mark the position of the pinion nut and count how many threads exposed on the end of the pinion before you remove the nut. It's not really that big a deal to replace the crush sleeve, but sure would save alot of time if it wasn't nesecary.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've done it in the past exactly as you described with no problems. :cool1:

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

hmm. im about to do mine. what is the crush sleeve? i have the new seal, but the guy said nothing about a crush slleve?

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

The crush sleeve basically sets the preload on the gears. If all you're doing is replacing the seal, you can probably get away with marking the pinion nut before disassembly and torquing the nut back to its original position when you put it back together. I need to replace the seal on my 14bff, take some pics so we know how it goes!!!!!

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

IIRC, it takes approx 75 ft/lbs to crush the FF14 crush sleeve once you get it started crushing. The ones that I replaced, the hardest part was just getting the yoke off the pinion. It seems to be a little bit of a press fit and years of corrosion can make it tough to take apart. Back on subject, my method is to take the nut off, then the yoke, replace the seal, then (using a new nut would be nice, but either way use some locktite) torque the nut to 70-75 ft lbs. Make sure there's no in and out play and that when you turn the yoke it's smooth and there isn't too much resistance. I'm not sure who, but I know someone sells a solid sleeve to replace the dumb old crush sleeve.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, i had to have mine pressed off with da machine, iw was ON THERE!! was doing a gear change, ended up screwing up the end of the original trying to get it out.