Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14B SF axle info

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Jan 12, 2004.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I just got done reading quite a few older (interesting) posts on the 14SF. (trying to focus on the 6 lug versions, which will keep my cost down, among other concerns)

Few things I never saw covered. Anyone know the actual weight of one of these things complete? I'd love to speculate, but with the for sale section saying a 14FF is 400# with disks, and a 10 bolt being 400# complete, either those numbers are both way off, or the 9.5 will weigh little more than 400#. (I can't imagine the 14FF weighing anywhere near what a 10 bolt weighs, but no proof.) I searched like crazy for another quote on 14FF weight, but can't find anything. Anyone else think it's got to be at LEAST 100lbs more than a 10 bolt (both complete) or does less than 100lb difference sound right?

Whats the clearance difference between the 14SF and 10 bolt? It looks like it doesn't hang any lower than it "needs" to, unlike the 14FF. If it's only bigger than it needs to be, that would mean only .5" less clearance than a 10 bolt perhaps?

Hmm, what else...I noticed awhile back that a 10 bolt in a 2000-ish truck had a bigger axle flange pattern than an earlier 10 bolt. I know Tim said he made a different backing plate work with some drilling, is it possible the later 10 bolts and 14SF's use the same backing plate bolt pattern? (could keep easy to find disks open for later)

I see that 3.42's are offered for the 14SF, anyone played around with the later trucks to know if that was actually common in the SF, or if one particular drivetrain combo had them standard? I could find out if 3.42 was standard certain years I'm sure, but figuring out which axle the truck came with from GM lit. is hard to tell.

Any idea what the driveshaft length difference is? GM 7.5 to 8.5" is 1", guess perhaps the 9.5" could follow that pattern?

Haven't had any problems with the 10 bolt yet, but I figure with the new motor and more time driving it (eventually) the gov-lock 10 bolt may decide to let go. If I run across a 6 lug 14SF that meets my needs, I'll probably grab it if the price is right. If I'm going to have a spare, I might as well have something that is at least somewhat stronger than what I just broke. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

problme is that 14 SF would have gov lok too, you might be better off installing aftermarket unit in the 10 bolt really

and i dont believe that axles are so heavy, i know that 12 bolt housing alone are only 75lbs, ive weighed one, and that was an old one, '72 year, but 14 bolt FF are alot heavier, yes, larger unit and alot more cast iron, SF not as heavy, id have to say alot less.

good luck

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I can more easily pick up a 14BSF, than its counterpart the 14FF. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The SF is heavy, but not nearly as much as the FF. I'd say about 50-75 heavier than a 10/12 bolt.

Mine does not hang low, or appear to. The clearance is about the same .5" or less than a 10/12.

I have 2 14BSF and they have both been 3.73. That may not say much though..

Driveshaft with a conversion joint bolted right up.. no length issues.

Hope it helps,
    John

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have a 6 lug version in my p/u and also sold an 8 lugger ot guy a guy on the boards. The weight wasn't too bad. My brother and I moved it around a few times and its lighter than a 14FF...
    As far as clearance, it does hang a bit lower than a 12 bolt. I believe its about 1/2" to an 3/4" or so lower than a 12 bolt..

Not sure on the brakes or gear ratios though...

5. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a 14bsf that I converted to 6-lug. I grabbed it from under an 82, 2wd diesel pickup and it came with 4.10's and an open dif. It appears to hang just a bit lower than the 10-bolt I had before.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

The 400# weight on the 10 bolt includes a military crate for shipping I believe. I dont think the 10 bolt is over 200-250# by itself. The 14SF I have in my truck is a lot lighter than the 14FF (both with drum brakes) that I took out. I can pick up a 10 bolt rear axle by myself but barely get one side of a 14FF off of the ground by myself.

3.42 was a common ratio in the 14SF. For ground clearance it is a good axle for smaller tires like 31-33". That was one of the reasons I took out a 14FF in favor of the 14SF because I am only running 33" tires and need the ground clearance. Since a 10 bolt has an 8.5" ring gear and the 14SF is 9.5" you have a minimum of 0.5" difference in ring gear dia. Probably closer to 3/4-1" less ground clearance overall compared to the 10 bolt.

7. dyeager535

I don't mind the gov-lock. The larger carrier has to have a bit more meat in it, and like I said, I haven't even had problems with the 8.5" yet.

Not into changing wheels, or adding the 14FF's weight, so the 14SF suits my needs fine. I'm only running 350/465/205/3.42's and 33" tires in a rig that pretty much only gets "wheeled" when it's lucky enough to make it to hunting once a year.

The 14SF would just give me that extra margin I'd like to have, IF the 8.5" ever gives me trouble related to the load I put on it.

Thanks for the input everyone, kind of confirms my weight suspicion and ground clearance thoughts.

8. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I converted an '86 14BSF from a Suburban to 6 lug about 3 years ago and have never had a problem with it. I could move it around without much hassle when it was stripped. The 12B that was removed felt like a paper weight in comparison, if I had to guess I'd say 75-100 lb difference over the 10/12B. Mine came with a gov-lok and 3.73's but I knew I was going the change gears to 4.10's so I swaped it for a Detroit and did it all at once. I gave the carrier to Rene IIRC. The 14BSF is a strong axle IMO, not as strong as a FF of course but MUCH stronger than a 10/12B. Ground clearence loss was also minimal 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.

James

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There was a 14 bolt with 3.42 gears posted on snort for $70 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif My guess is it is an 8 lug semi-floater but the price is right and you can convert it to 6 lug later with factory parts (axleshafts and brake parts).

10. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

hmm... im considering the swap too, and no mean to steal your post, but how common is a 14bsf with 4.10's open diff 6 lug, how hard is it to convert to 6 lug from eight?? thanks...

11. dyeager535

If I've got my information right, there are two axle widths for the 14SF, so as long as you get the right donor axles, its a simple affair, no different than a 10 or 12 bolt axle swap.

Dunno about the 4.10 question, might be fairly common on the later ones, what with OD being standard and the 14SF being used more often in "heavier" GVW trucks.

As common as the 14SF's are (and they are probably only going to come down in price and increase in availability as the trucks get older) I don't see why you would bother trying to piece an axle together...JUST finding axleshafts locally is a waste of time IMO, what with the 14SF's going for less than $100 in some cases. I'd rather wait for a complete assembly, instead of getting an 8 lug and waiting to find just axleshafts...probably end up buying a complete 6 lug setup just to get axles.

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I had a 14SF sittin as a spare and had mesaured a 12bolt.. There is about a 1/2" to 1" difference.(its been a while).. I am leaing towards the 1" measurement.. I guess I can crawl under the truck tonight and remeasure..