Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14b SF Gov-loc?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Feb 28, 2005.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I think I gave a Gov-Loc in the SF I'm throwing under the Blazer. If we held on side while trying to spin the other, this would indicate Gov-Loc, right? The real question is this:

I dont want to sink any money into this thing, since it IS an SF. When I can afford it, probably at the end of this year, I'll be trying to put a full-float under the Blazer, and then I'll probably go with a Detroit or maybe a selectable. Running 37's, I'm thinking the SF will hold up on moderate trails and occasional rocks (Blazer Bash...). I only put about 4000 miles on this, it is a semi-DD mostly toy. Should I weld it and destroy a set of tires, or Gov-Loc away until I get the full-float?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The 14SF's *seem* to be pretty strong.

From all accounts, and personal experience, a Gov-lok will hold up against pretty much anything, no matter the axle, it's just how hard you work it. I shattered the 8.5" carrier, but it worked fine for me until the new motor and a lot of throttle on the street. With sane driving, it never would have happened.

The 14SF I just picked up was broken, one of the governors teeth (and the large fine toothed gear) were broken, which I didn't notice before purchase. (of course) Again, this I'm SURE is directly attributable to working the thing hard, based on the vehicles the PO had around when I went to get it. But the 14SF has a bigger carrier, that alone will make it stronger than the 10 bolt one. That does nothing to strengthen the smaller parts though...they are still small. :)

I'm still not going to be easy on mine when I put it in, but if it breaks too, I'm going with something different as a traction aid.

If you don't feel the need to do burnouts, and instantaneous full throttle, then it should work fine for a long time for you.

As for operation, holding one side and rotating the other doesn't work. If you can rotate both axles easily, grab one drum or axleshaft, and spin it hard one direction. If it doesn't lock, try it the other way. You'll feel it lock up, and it may stay locked up until you wiggle the axleshaft back and forth a bit.

3. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

my gov-loc in my 12 bolt is missing a couple teeth, and I am running 33x12.5" tires and don't use the throttle a lot off-road. I have done a couple powerslides on pavement though :D

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I would just run it for now and not worry about it , it should only fail with abuse

Just drive sane and put your cash into the new diff. when you are ready

BTW I have a 10 bolt gov bomb in my truck and it's holding up just fine (knock on wood)

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't matter on or off road though. Wheel spin of any kind before lockup with big tires shockloads the setup a lot, and those small parts just can't handle it.

Going around corners on the throttle is a good way to destroy it, as you can get one tire spinning easily that way.

6. firefighter184

Well, I'm thinking that it'll last a while. I'm pretty easy on the gas, unless there's mud to be found. On the trail and in the rocks, I'm pretty cautious.

7. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Liar!:grin:

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I have found that icy conditions are the absolutely worst. I have it down to a science when the rear will lock and go WHAM!!! One of those WHAMs will have a kabooooooom sooner or later. But luckily the SF will be layign inthe bed of the truck mid march

9. firefighter184

Hey pal, seems like every time you and I wheel, it's YOU breaking stuff.

Of course, I just jinxed myself. Dammit.:mad:

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Well you can pull the diff cover and tell right away if it's a gov loc...of course you could just jack up 1 wheel and hit the gas. If you drive through your garage door it's not open :D